IPA in Time Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertoole

Reaction score
Started an American IPA about 8 days ago - Transferred last night into secondary fermenter and added 1oz of Hops for Dry Hopping.
I will be leaving the state for about 10 days on the 23rd of December.
Is it ok that my beer sit in the secondary fermenter for about 2.5-3 straight weeks? Should I be nervous?

Thanks for the help
Beertoole

PS- The beer tasted amazing before I transferred, I'm getting so excited.

I'm not a fan of dryhopping more than a week or so. I would have racked the beer, but not dryhopped until a week before bottling. (Actually, I would have just leave the beer in primary the whole time, but racking is ok if people feel they have to).

What's done is done, though. I'd bottle this beer on December 22, before I left, if my choices were to leave it on the dry hops for 3 weeks or to bottle it after 5 days of dryhopping. I like 5-7 days of dryhopping anyway.

I'd be wary of letting the dry hops sit in there for that long. Your best bet would be to rack OFF of the hops before you left (in 10 days-which is a good amt of time to dry hop), into a new fermenter or pull the hops out if you put them in a bag. I've never done it, but always heard you'll get a grassy taste from the hops if you dry hop too long. Nothing wrong with extended primary/secondary though, as long as you aren't dry hopping more than a week or two.

Even better idea would be to bottle them before you leave. Then they'll be ready to drink when you get back in 3 weeks ;)

I guess I'll go against the grain. Bottling in less than 2 weeks from pitching, seems far too soon to me.

I'd just leave it and bottle when you get back. It will give time for the beer to clear and the hops to drop. If you are using pellets to dry hop with, you are likely to get a lot of hop material in the bottles if you bottle too soon.

I always dry hop for at least 2 weeks (sometimes more) and have never noticed a grassy taste..

Back