IPA ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchum

Reaction score
Im going to be brewing my first beer not using a kit.
I've brewed 4 batches using all grain recipe kits from my LHBS.
they turned out great, but I want to venture out on myown.
My grain bill is;
12 Lbs 2 row
2 Lbs Marris Otter
1/2 Lbs Amber

I want something that will have citrus and fruit flavors for the summer. just looking for some advice on my hops. I picked up 3 oz each of Amirillo, centenial, and simcoe. As well as 1 oz of warrior.

My plan is to put 1 oz warrior in at 60 mins, 1 oz amirillo at 5 mins and dry hop with 1 oz of amirrillo. Im stuck for the middle of the boil. Im thinking of 1.5 oz centenial at 30 mins, and another oz at 15, and leaving the simcoe out all together.

Will this give me the flavor profile I'm looking for?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

I'm not near a brewing calculator, but Warrior is usually between 15- 17 IBUs. Bitter with Warrior and load the end of the boil and dry hop. Something like this:

1 oz Warrior @60
1 oz Centennial @ 10
1 oz Centennial @ 0
1 oz Simcoe @ 0
1 oz Amarillo @ 0

1 or 2 oz Simcoe @ Dry Hop
2 oz Amarillo @ Dry Hop

You'll get a crazy amount of flavor and aroma, with plenty of bitterness. (Again I have no idea what the actual IBUs are).

Sorry if these are dumb questions, im still very new.
Is 30 min hop additions still for bittering?
and when I add at zero, are the hops only in the wort while I cool the temp, and rack to primary? Or is it a dry hop in the primary?

Back