IPA Hop Schedule Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdill

Reaction score
If you don't mind I could use some advice the for IPA I am going to brew today. I decided to try something different and just buy whatever hops I felt like while at the store, no recipe planned.

So here is what I have:
4 lbs Amber DME
3 lbs Light DME
2 oz Columbus (pellets - 14.4%)
3 oz Centennial (leaf - 11.4%)
1 oz Chinook (leaf - 11.9%)

Estimated OG is 1.061.

What do you think? I know I love the taste of Centennial hops so I was figuring that could be my main flavor hop. I'm not sure about Chinook's flavor but I think it's mostly used for bittering? I would also like 1-2 oz of these to be used for dry-hopping.

Also do you have general tips on how to create a hop schedule? And will leaf hops in a vacuum-sealed bag be good to sit in the fridge for a couple weeks before I use it for dry-hopping?

I'll take a stab at it...

0.5 oz Columbus (60')
1 oz Chinook (60')
1 oz Centennial (20')
1 oz Centennial (5')
0.5 oz Columbus (5')
1 oz Centennial (dry hop - 1 week)
1 oz Columbus (dry hop - 1 week)

Ends up at 67.4 IBU's

yes, vacuum sealed whole hops should be fine in the fridge for a few weeks. here's the recipe i created while trying to clone Founders Centennial IPA. the hops aroma turned out really good.

http://hopville.com/brewer/recipes/Dogphish?offset=15

i was going for an outrageous hops aroma like Founder's has. you could cut down on the flame out hops and dry hops if you want, and it wouldn't effect the bitterness/IBU's, just the aroma.

Latest posts

Back