IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmpitags2006

Reaction score
I need help with my recipe

7 lbs light unhopped malt extract
2 lb 2-row pale malted barley
1/2 lb cara-pils malted barley
1/2 lb medium crystal malted barley
1 cup light brown sugar
1 oz Chinook hops (bittering) 60 min
1 oz Norther Brewers hops (flavoring) 15 min
1/2 oz Kent Golding hops (finishing) 5 min
1/2 oz Kent Golding hops (fermenting)
1 pkg White Labs California Ale yeast WLP001
1/2 cup light brown sugar (priming)

Does this look ok? I am doing a recipe from a local brew supply shop, and I haven't ever used brown sugar in my brews. Also I haven't done a fermenting hop addition how do you do it and when should I do it? Also I haven't used brown sugar for priming either.

I think it all looks pretty good. I think there may be some debate whether you get anything out of the hops if you add them while there fermenting, because the co2 carries out the aroma while its fermenting.
If it were my brew I would'nt add any while it was fermenting, but when Its time to rack over to secondary, I would let it go a week or so, until fermentation is complete, And Dryhop 1oz(Might even go 2oz) instead of doing a 1/2ounce while fermenting. Or I would add 1/2 ounce while it was fermenting and another 1oz dry hop.
I have used Brown sugar to prime browns with, and I have also added brown sugar to my brews at flame out. It works good,
Make sure you pack the brown sugar down when you measure it.
Good luck! What ever you decide it will be good, its not going to hurt anything what ever you decide.

i have primed with brown sugar a few times. i have never really noticed much difference between priming with dextrose and brown sugar but if i were you i would use 3/4 of a cup unless you want it less carbed because when i prime with it i usually get a little less carb than dextrose.

Latest posts

Back