IPA grains: Munich vs. Vienna vs. Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
I'm using Extra Light DME as the base of my malt bill, but I want to add a little complexity and malt backbone to my IPA. I'm familiar with the differences between munich and vienna malt, but not so much with Amber malt. How does amber malt compare?

I'm using Extra Light DME as the base of my malt bill, but I want to add a little complexity and malt backbone to my IPA. I'm familiar with the differences between munich and vienna malt, but not so much with Amber malt. How does amber malt compare?

Amber malt is interesting. A little goes a LONG way- I use 6 ounces in my IPA that has 13 pounds of two-row, and I can discern it. It's got this toasty/dry flavor and feeling and I really like it.

Munich is a very malty malt, if that makes sense, while Vienna is warm and bready malt. Amber malt is totally different, more like biscuit malt or brown malt without the roastiness. It's dry and toasty.

I would use pounds of Vienna or Munich malt in some IPAs, but only ounces of amber malt.

Thanks for the advise. I was planing on a full pound, but I think I'll make it a half pound. I definitely don't want it to be the main show of the beer...I have hops to do that for me.

Latest posts

Back