IPA Dales Western Mutant recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably some 2-row of some sort and 1-2 % of some dextrin type malt. Just figure the base malt for the OG that will give you the ABV you want. Which probably should be the 7% theirs is if you are trying to clone it.

Did you find a clone recipe for it or how did you come up with the hops to use? The hops they list in the description might only be their aroma hops. Though Simcoe is also a aroma and bittering hop. Not familiar with all of the others, but Saphir is a aroma hop.

Last edited:
Probably some 2-row of some sort and 1-2 % of some dextrin type malt. Just figure the base malt for the OG that will give you the ABV you want. Which probably should be the 7% theirs is if you are trying to clone it.

Did you find a clone recipe for it or how did you come up with the hops to use? The hops they list in the description might only be their aroma hops. Though Simcoe is also a aroma and bittering hop. Not familiar with all of the others, but Saphir is a aroma hop.
I did not find a recipe. I will probably fall back on simcoe. I thought there would be more info out there on the beer ? Guess not.

Shouldn't hurt anyone to just email the brewery and tell them you are a home brewer and will like to know if they'll share the recipe.

Note that I did say "of some sort". :bigmug:
My point is that this is slightly more helpful than saying, “some sort of malted barley”. There’s more two-row available to make a beer darker than 3 SRM, than there isn’t. Not being a jerk, just trying to clarify so that OP or someone with little experience doesn’t simply assume any two-row will make a 3 SRM beer.

Last edited:
My point is that this is slightly more helpful than saying, “some sort of malted barley”.
I understood what you were getting at, but I didn't think you added much more info than I did. So it seemed more directed toward me than anything usable for the OP.

I wasn't taking offense to it. Just thought that since you seemed to be wanting to get into the different Lovibonds that malts come in, then addressing about it to the OP will have been more beneficial.

My reply was scant of info as I was hoping the OP would come back with more details that might give a clue to how much recipe building experience they had.

My experience is very little. I'm still learning.

but I didn't think you added much more info
Please re-read post #4. Sometimes the semantics matter, sometimes they don’t but we’re all here trying to learn. If you’re going to get defensive when someone adds clarity to a post of yours, you might be in the wrong place. So this thread isn’t derailed more so, I’ll let you justify yourself without further response.

@jbbalesky if you do email OB and get a response please share. Another thought on your grain bill is a little wheat. That’ll keep the color down and add some complexity that many, myself included, argue lends itself nicely to IPA’s.

Shouldn't hurt anyone to just email the brewery and tell them you are a home brewer and will like to know if they'll share the recipe.
Hmmm, pretty simple great idea thanks !
Please re-read post #4. Sometimes the semantics matter, sometimes they don’t but we’re all here trying to learn. If you’re going to get defensive when someone adds clarity to a post of yours, you might be in the wrong place. So this thread isn’t derailed more so, I’ll let you justify yourself without further response.

@jbbalesky if you do email OB and get a response please share. Another thought on your grain bill is a little wheat. That’ll keep the color down and add some complexity that many, myself included, argue lends itself nicely to IPA’s.
As a counter balance, many others (including me) may note that West Coast IPAs are generally crisp, clean, and bitter.
just saw a kit from Northern Brewers Called Kiwi Express, it gave me some knowledge about the hop company I’m using ! I want to learn as well. No offense taken on my part. Thanks for input. I really like this beer. We use Grain Father.

If you click on the tab "Brewing Software" up at the top of the page it takes you to Brewer's Friend. Their stuff is a little slow running on my old PC, but in their search function, you can look for beer recipes based on the hops you select and other criteria you might wish to narrow the search down with.

Not sure if that's available to free members, but you could try and see if it works. Then maybe you could find a recipe with those hops and about the right ABV and SRM.

Might not be the same as the real thing, but it might at least give you something worthwhile trying.

For recipe design ideas, Craft Beer and Brewing has a "brew your best [style]" series. One can use a site specific search
brew your best west coast ipa site:beerandbrewing.com
to get an short list of articles.

One article that caught my eye was a recipe for an "All Together IPA (link)" which used the same grain bill, but different hops/timings, different water adjustments, and different yeast to make either a West Coast IPA or an New England IPA.

Back