IPA brewing log

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantose

Reaction score
Ok, so I figured I'd write up this brew and see how it goes.

What I've got:

~1 lb crystal malt steeped for ~30 min
3 lbs light DME
3 lbs golden LME
1 oz cascade hops 60 min boil
1 oz cascade hops 40 min boil
1 oz chinook hops 20 min boil
1 oz chinook hops 2 min boil
I will be pitching Sarfale US 05

Comments welcome

I'd switch your cascade and chinook -- chinook makes a better bittering hop, and cascade better flavor/aroma hop IMO.

I'd also up your LME to at least 7 lbs, maybe 7.5

Well, the hops were a done deal by the time I read this so we'll have to just wait and see how it goes. Order was decided on smell. I very much liked the aroma of the chinook and figured the shorter boil would hopefully see more of that through. Let me know if that is roughly how it works.

yeast is pitched so now we play the waiting game. The waiting game, by the way, is one I often lose when it comes to beer. I really need to put my scotch ale down in the basement where it's out of sight.

batch now bottled. Took a taste of the leftover dribbles after filling the last bottle. It isn't as hoppy as I expected but it is good. Would dry hopping add a bit more hops kick?

I'd switch your cascade and chinook -- chinook makes a better bittering hop, and cascade better flavor/aroma hop IMO.

I'd also up your LME to at least 7 lbs, maybe 7.5

AZ is right on, I have done 2 brews with these hops. Switch them next time and add more fermentables to it. At least 8lbs.

Dry hopping is also a must!!
:mug:

Well, 4 weeks after start and it's awesome. I'm a big fan of chinook so I'm hesitant to switch them to the bittering slot. While hoppy, it doesn't have the same degree of bite most IPAs have. My mother, who isn't a fan of the style, is quite fond of it. Now, if I can keep my hands off some of it for another month it should peak quite nicely.

I can only hope my dopplebock does as well. I've had issues with temperature control with it so I'm gonna leave it in the primary an extra week and secondary it for at least another week.

Latest posts

Back