IPA - advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I make a great IIPA, and many good india brown ales and arrogant bastard clone that is fantastic. I have tried a few times to make a standard, delicious IPA and it comes up short usually. I am thinking simple grain bill:

6.5 gallon batch

14 pounds two row
1 pound C20
1/2 pound victory

I have magnum, chinook, willamette and amarillo hops available...seems like an odd combination of hops to me, but I think chinook and ammarillo might be nice together.

Can anybody give some advice on how to use the hops I have on hand to make a nice IPA?

I don't generally use crystal in my IPAs, but you certainly can if you want. I'd keep crystal to 5% or so. I'd target an OG of 1.065-1.070.

My basic IPA is just 96.5% two row and then 3.5% amber malt or biscuit malt. Victory malt would be about the same.

For your hops, I'd bitter with either magnum or chinook to about 40-50 IBUs and then use chinook and amarillo for flavor and aroma. I like lots of late hops additions in an IPA, so I'd probably add .5 ounce of chinook at 15 minutes and .5 ounce of amarillo at 5 minutes, and again at flameout. Dryhop with chinook if you like the flavor, and amarillo. You could even mix the amarillo and chinook if you wanted.

I like a mix of willamette and cascade in APAs, but I've never tried willamette in an IPA or with amarillo. That might be very nice, too.

I don't generally use crystal in my IPAs, but you certainly can if you want. I'd keep crystal to 5% or so. I'd target an OG of 1.065-1.070.

My basic IPA is just 96.5% two row and then 3.5% amber malt or biscuit malt. Victory malt would be about the same.

For your hops, I'd bitter with either magnum or chinook to about 40-50 IBUs and then use chinook and amarillo for flavor and aroma. I like lots of late hops additions in an IPA, so I'd probably add .5 ounce of chinook at 15 minutes and .5 ounce of amarillo at 5 minutes, and again at flameout. Dryhop with chinook if you like the flavor, and amarillo. You could even mix the amarillo and chinook if you wanted.

I like a mix of willamette and cascade in APAs, but I've never tried willamette in an IPA or with amarillo. That might be very nice, too.

Amber Malt...nice idea! Very nice idea. Maybe I should cut my crystal in half.

1/2 chinook and 1/2 magnum for bittering....

chinook and amarillo first wort hop maybe as well?

here is what I came up with, messing around with it in beersmith

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.80 %
0.50 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.28 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.28 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 1.64 %
1.25 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 41.9 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (10 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (10 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (1 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (1 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.24 %
Bitterness: 63.6 IBU
Est Color: 7.6 SRM

I am pretty sure I would mash at 150, and pacman would take her down to 1.011 or so...it always does.

Why no crystal? Dont want the color or the sweetness?

I don't use crystal either. Don't like the risidual sweetness and often it clashes with citrusy hops giving off an iced tea character.

I use 2-row, Munich, and melanoidin in my IPAs to get enough malt punch for balance, but without being sweet.

Hop wise. Here's my schedule and what I would do with your choice of hops.

.5oz chinook and .75oz Amarillo FWH
.25oz chinook 60min
.5 oz magnum 30 min
.75oz chinook KO
1.5oz Amarillo KO
.5oz chinook DH
1.5oz Amarillo DH

Should get you in the 65-70ibu range

Alright I ordered the grains.

14 pounds two row
.50 pound victory
.50 pound C40

super, super simple. 6 gallon batch. I am hoping to hit 1.065 to 1.070 on my OG and I am thinking about this hop schedule

1.25 OZ 10AA Magnum at 60
1.00 OZ 11.5 AA Chinook at 10
1.00 oz 7.5 AA Amarillo at 10
1.00 OZ 11.5 AA Chinook at 1
1.00 oz 7.5 AA Amarillo at 1

1.00 oz Amarillo Dry Hop
1.00 oz chinook Dry Hop
1.00 oz willamete Dry Hop

Sound Tasty?

I am considering feeding 1.00 pounds dextrose to fermenter to help dry out the beer. I have prepared at 1 gallon Pacman yeast starter, so I am fully expecting a clean, quick and fully attenuated fermentation. I plan on brewing tomorow.

If this IPA isn't lip smacking delicious I am taking IPA off of my radar!

That sounds pretty good. maybe have the second addition be 25-20 min instead of 10. Other than the hopping, this is the same grain I use for IPAs, very crisp and just enough malty flavor.

That sounds pretty good. maybe have the second addition be 25-20 min instead of 10. Other than the hopping, this is the same grain I use for IPAs, very crisp and just enough malty flavor.

Maybe I could just toss in another addition at 20?

.50 chinook
.50 amarillo

???

14 pounds two row
.50 pound victory
.50 pound C40

super, super simple. 6 gallon batch. I am hoping to hit 1.065 to 1.070 on my OG and I am thinking about this hop schedule

.50 OZ 11.5 AA Chinook at 20
.50 oz 7.5 AA Amarillo at 20

I forgot to mention that I will be mashing at 152 or even higher. Pacman is just such a beast!

I forgot to mention that I will be mashing at 152 or even higher. Pacman is just such a beast!

That'll Do.

Jesus christ, man ... is your tongue made of steel?! Or all calloused up, like guitar players' fingers? One sip of this and I wouldn't be able to taste for weeks ... :D

Just kidding ... looks awesome. :rockin:

Jesus christ, man ... is your tongue made of steel?! Or all calloused up, like guitar players' fingers? One sip of this and I wouldn't be able to taste for weeks ... :D

Just kidding ... looks awesome. :rockin:

I think I may be one of the few that really enjoys late chinook additions! I love that hop.

Alright I ordered the grains.

I am thinking about this hop schedule

1.00 oz Amarillo Dry Hop
1.00 oz chinook Dry Hop
1.00 oz willamete Dry Hop

Sound Tasty?

The one traditional IPA hop you have here is the Amarillo. If you're looking for that classic, robust citrus smack-you-upside-the-head hop blast, I would emphasize the Amarillo more. If it were me, I'd still want some of those Chinook and/or Willamette hops in the finish & dry hop, but I would not use them at the same rate as the Amarillo. I'd go for a 2 to 1 ratio of Amarillo to others instead of 1 to 1. So for your dry hop, I might do something like:

1.50 oz Amarillo Dry Hop
0.75 oz chinook Dry Hop
0.75 oz willamete Dry Hop

The Chinook & Willamette will add accents but the Amarillo will be the star which is what I'd aim for if this were me. I'd do the same kind of thing for those 10 minute and 1 minute additions.

I think this will be good either way, but if what you've been looking for but not getting in your IPAs is that classic citrus blast, more Amarillo will help get you there.

The one traditional IPA hop you have here is the Amarillo. If you're looking for that classic, robust citrus smack-you-upside-the-head hop blast, I would emphasize the Amarillo more. If it were me, I'd still want some of those Chinook and/or Willamette hops in the finish & dry hop, but I would not use them at the same rate as the Amarillo. I'd go for a 2 to 1 ratio of Amarillo to others instead of 1 to 1. So for your dry hop, I might do something like:

1.50 oz Amarillo Dry Hop
0.75 oz chinook Dry Hop
0.75 oz willamete Dry Hop

The Chinook & Willamette will add accents but the Amarillo will be the star which is what I'd aim for if this were me. I'd do the same kind of thing for those 10 minute and 1 minute additions.

I think this will be good either way, but if what you've been looking for but not getting in your IPAs is that classic citrus blast, more Amarillo will help get you there.

Great advice, thank you.

Here is the final recipe via beersmith

14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 93.33 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
1.50 oz Magnum [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 41.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (15 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (10 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
Bitterness: 72.9 IBU-

Here is my opinion....

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.50
Anticipated OG: 1.078 Plato: 18.88
Anticipated SRM: 7.8
Anticipated IBU: 77.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
89.7 13.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
6.9 1.00 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
3.4 0.50 lbs. Victory Malt America 1.034 25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Magnum Pellet 14.00 60.5 60 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 7.3 20 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 5.8 15 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 3.6 5 min.
1.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Hope this helps.

CHEERS

Although all good suggestions, I would avoid getting too carried away with the Chinook for finish and dry hop. Seems alot of the positivie reviews I've read using Chinook, other than for bittering, used it judiciously in combination with other, more typical IPA flavor and aroma hops. I suppose it's a little like cooking with spices.....

Although all good suggestions, I would avoid getting too carried away with the Chinook for finish and dry hop. Seems alot of the positivie reviews I've read using Chinook, other than for bittering, used it judiciously in combination with other, more typical IPA flavor and aroma hops. I suppose it's a little like cooking with spices.....

.50 oz chinook to 1.00 oz ammarilo in my additions I think follow this mentality. I may adjust the dry hop to include more ammarilo and less chinook. maybe just amarillo and willamete for aroma...that is a nice idea.

This brew is boiling away right now! I couldn't help myself and i FWH with .50 oz ammarilo and .50 oz chinook. Smells good so far!

.50 oz chinook to 1.00 oz ammarilo in my additions I think follow this mentality. I may adjust the dry hop to include more ammarilo and less chinook. maybe just amarillo and willamete for aroma...that is a nice idea.
I noticed you had, although it always depends upon your own palatte. I'm looking at an IPA recipe that seemed to have it prominent in the dry, but de-emphasized in the flavor additions in comparison to the other two hops used. Note that I haven't tried this particular recipe yet, so who knows? Seems like alot of bittering hops are now used late and/or dry hopping in IPAs compared to when I started brewing. Change is good!

At any rate, whatever you decide, please try and post back after you've tried it. Sounds like a tasty brew! So many hop combos, so little time...... :mug:

This thing just hit the fermenter,got about 4.75 gallons of 1.060 wort, so much trub and hop sediment! I have decided to add 12 oz sugar dissolved in water to the fermenter to kick me up to that 1.068 range to balance out the 80 or so IBU that I have since I decide to add a FWH. I am hoping for 1.012 FG and %7.5 ABV or so...borderline imperial I suppose.

Not that long ago, I couldn't get Willamette anywhere near my face. Hated the aroma and flavor! Just kegged a bitter with 1oz Willamette as the keg hop (also used in 10 minute addition). Gotta tell you. . it is has fantastic spicy character that would really round out the grapefruit from an Amarillo focused IPA. Got to try me that soon!

This beer just got kegged today, OG = 1.068, FG = 1.008 and it is super aromatic with the 2.5 oz dry hop and late hop additions. I think I may have a winner here! It appears to me, that simplicity is key! The funny thing is that I get an awesome light biscuit flavor from the sample I tasted too....C40 + Victory appears to be a nice little background for an IPA. I think in the past i Have just used too much crystal.....

pacman + low mash temp + sugar = DRY!!

%8 ABV and 80 IBU.....this is going to be a dangerous beer to have on tap!

I think I might play with the color of the beer by adjusting the two specialty grains to get the color I want but keep the ratios the same. FOr example, for a red IPA

14 pounds two row
1/2 pound C150
1/2 pound special roast, aromatic , biscuit or victory

1.50 oz Magnum [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 41.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (15 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (10 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
Bitterness: 72.9 IBU-

Sounds tasty but, despite all the suggestions you received, none of them is english... ;)

Cheers :mug:
Piteko

Just an update:

This has been in the keg for two weeks and is carbonated properly at this point. I am very impressed with this beer, the earthy, piny resinous chinook compliments the amarrillo just right. I am certainly going to keep this grain bill for my future IPA's as it finishes perfectly golden and with light body. I would reccomend this to anybody and I look forward to coming home from work so I can have a glass with dinner at night! SO good

At 1.008 FG we are talking about a nice, crisp, clean IPA with huge aroma and flavor with the malt taking a backseat to hops and alcohol...

Just an update:

This has been in the keg for two weeks and is carbonated properly at this point. I am very impressed with this beer, the earthy, piny resinous chinook compliments the amarrillo just right. I am certainly going to keep this grain bill for my future IPA's as it finishes perfectly golden and with light body. I would reccomend this to anybody and I look forward to coming home from work so I can have a glass with dinner at night! SO good

At 1.008 FG we are talking about a nice, crisp, clean IPA with huge aroma and flavor with the malt taking a backseat to hops and alcohol...

Thanks for the update! Seems like an IIPA, though, with that much alcohol. I thought in your original post you were trying for an IPA.

Both of the close by brewhouses to me put too much heavier crystal in their IPAs, IMHO. That light, dry finish like you are seeing highlights the hops much more!

Thanks for the update! Seems like an IIPA, though, with that much alcohol. I thought in your original post you were trying for an IPA.

Both of the close by brewhouses to me put too much heavier crystal in their IPAs, IMHO. That light, dry finish like you are seeing highlights the hops much more!

It is a borderline brew...IIPA OG according the the guidelines starts at 1.075 so I didn't quite get that....but also for IPA the FG lower limit is 1.010 and I am below that.......

Personally I am serving and drinking this brew like a IIPA....this beer is super easy drinking and dangerous, a few pints and you feel it....:mug:

It is a borderline brew...IIPA OG according the the guidelines starts at 1.075 so I didn't quite get that....but also for IPA the FG lower limit is 1.010 and I am below that.......

Actually, the IIPA O.G. starts at 1.070, although an IPA can go to 1.075, not that it matters much. I'm now curious, though, how a beer like this would be classified, as I sometimes get similar results(high attenuation on an IPA).

For reference, 2008 BJCP(latest, AFAIK) shows:
Amerian IPA:
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.056 – 1.075
IBUs: 40 – 70 FG: 1.010 – 1.018
SRM: 6 – 15 ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

Imperial IPA:
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.070 – 1.090
IBUs: 60 – 120 FG: 1.010 – 1.020
SRM: 8 – 15 ABV: 7.5 – 10%

Actually, the IIPA O.G. starts at 1.070, although an IPA can go to 1.075, not that it matters much. I'm now curious, though, how a beer like this would be classified, as I sometimes get similar results(high attenuation on an IPA).

For reference, 2008 BJCP(latest, AFAIK) shows:
Amerian IPA:
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.056 – 1.075
IBUs: 40 – 70 FG: 1.010 – 1.018
SRM: 6 – 15 ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

Imperial IPA:
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.070 – 1.090
IBUs: 60 – 120 FG: 1.010 – 1.020
SRM: 8 – 15 ABV: 7.5 – 10%

Sorry, i had it backwards!

Back