Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModlrMike

Reaction score
I work in the medical community where I have access to Povidine-iodine solution. The compound is 10% v/w with 1% available iodine. Am I correct in assuming that I can use this solution for sanitation? Because it has the same available iodine as "iodophor", I presume that my dilution schedule would be the same?

Yes, you can use. The only difference is the HBS variety is 1.6% iodine, not 1%, so you should increase the dilution rate by ~50%. I've been using Providone (1% iodine) from walmart for a while and haven't had any problems.

So using BTF as a baseline, I should use about .75 oz (or 22ml) per 5 gal, if I've done my math right. I think that works out to roughly 1ml per litre of water.

Good article. I'm a PA, so I also have access to large quantities of Betadine. What I initially found most confusing was that the term "iodophor" seems to be a generic term meaning any water soluble iodine solution. :mug:

4.4cc of iodine solution per gallon of water? I am a paramedic by trade and last week the local hospital gave us a bunch of overstock, of which included 5 cases of 12oz bottles of iodine. Its been sitting there with no use..............it wont be for long:)

Lil' Sparky said:
The only difference is the HBS variety is 1.6% iodine, not 1%, so you should increase the dilution rate by ~50%..

That's not correct. Betadine and equivalents have other ingredients that are not in Home Brew iodine products such as B-T-F. One ingredient is used as a spermicide in contraceptives. I don't have a bottle of Betadine handy or I'd name the ingredient.

abracadabra said:
One ingredient is used as a spermicide in contraceptives. I don't have a bottle of Betadine handy or I'd name the ingredient.
Nonoxynol-9?

Not a bad idea, actually...contraceptive beer. It could help alleviate at least ONE bad side effect of having a few too many.

BlindLemonLars said:
Nonoxynol-9?

Not a bad idea, actually...contraceptive beer. It could help alleviate at least ONE bad side effect of having a few too many.

LOL

yeah I believe that's it.

:mug:

Betadine is "povidone iodine". Povidone is just a surfactant for the stable and controlled delivery of iodine in solution. This explains it very well:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodophor Basically, it's not the percentage of iodine, it's the effectiveness of its release in solution. With that thought in mind, there should be little difference between 1% and 1.6%. So maybe there shouldn't be an adjustment between BTF and Betadine.

well, you folks are all way over my head I am sure, but I have a comment to offer to the discussion nevertheless. I do not know what it is at the moment, I do not have a bottle of iodophor handy, but I believe there are some other ingredients in the homebrew (really a commercial/institutional kitchen sanitizer) version. Mostly I believe they are acid based components that allow the solution to drain/dry more quickly. Those may be peresent in the medical versions as well. I suppose that would be a surfacant? Anyway. Just a thought from someone who has no real knowledge. :eek:

This is pretty interesting. I never thought about grabbing some betadine out of the OR.

The one question this raises for me is the killing action. We've always been taught that betadine does most of its killing as a dessicant as it dries on the skin. If that was true then sterilizing bottles in betadine followed by rinsing wouldn't achieve the desired results.

But that's the point... don't rinse. At the concentration used in brewing, iodophors can be a no rinse solution.

ModlrMike said:
But that's the point... don't rinse. At the concentration used in brewing, iodophors can be a no rinse solution.

I'm just saying that from my understanding iodophors must be a no rinse solution that is allowed to dry.

I'm thinking that because the iodine sublimates from a liquid into a gas, and leaves no residue, that's what makes it so good for us.

Yeah...I guess it could go either way. The only real way to tell is to man up and do it.:rockin: Empirical evidence is pretty important in homebrewing...I mean, who woulda thought about creating a steam infusion system for step mashing in a cooler? That's pretty genius IMHO. The next brew I do, I'll give this a shot. I'm thinking I'll use the BTF reccomended concentration and see if I get any off flavors/infection.;)

knights of Gambrinus said:
Anyway. Just a thought from someone who has no real knowledge. :eek:
BTW, for me, the fun is in bouncing ideas off eachother and figuring these things out! We all have something to bring to the table. If I had REAL knowledge, I'd be doing neurosurgery (and then I'd be too busy to brew:). I don't know how to weld and I'm not a mechanical/electrical engineer...I'm just glad that for once I can bring something from my profession into the mix:p

I recently bought 8 oz of Povidone-Iodine 10%. There is 1% available Iodine in it.

http://www.super-grow.biz/PPM.jsp

The above online calculator shows that for 1 liter of 12.5 ppm solution, you would use 1.25 ml of the Povidone-Iodine 10% "concentrate".

Betadine seems to be of the same concentration as the Povidone-Iodine product.

Old_Brewer said:
I recently bought 8 oz of Povidone-Iodine 10%. There is 1% available Iodine in it.

http://www.super-grow.biz/PPM.jsp

The above online calculator shows that for 1 liter of 12.5 ppm solution, you would use 1.25 ml of the Povidone-Iodine 10% "concentrate".

Betadine seems to be of the same concentration as the Povidone-Iodine product.
Pleased to hear that.

I use Betadine (10% Aqueous), have done for years.
I use 1.25ml/Litre and have never had a problem.
I figure if it is good enough for surgery then it is good enough for brewing.

As or the spermicide effect......Cool but I'll not risk testing it..!!!!

I also calculated Betadine 10% at a ratio of 1.25 cc per liter. That equates to about 1 ounce per 5 gallons. I have it written down in my brewery, but I am writing this off the top of my head after a couple bottle of hefeweizen. - Dirk

PS... nice to see all the other nurses and medical profesionals here on HBT

Back