Iodinized vs. Non-Iodinized NaCl addition to H2O

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently read and I'm sure I missed it the first time I read through which salts to add to my water, not to use iodinized NaCl for the (table salt) addition. Btw, if it is non-iodinized we are supposed to use the current literature shouldn't call it 'table salt' because most table salt IS iodinized at least Mortons is.

Anyway I brewed my last 4 batches with iodinized table salt, only 1.7 g but still I did use the wrong kind of salt and the brews came out fantastic anyhow. So the question is since the iodine is not a 'killer' of the beer what does it do that is undesireable? Slow the yeast down in some way?

I believe it inhibits reproduction somewhat. Sounds like it depends on the amount added since yours turned out fine.

The amount of iodine in iodized salt is tiny compared to the iodine that ends up in the fermenter beer if you use iodophore sanitizer. Should be too little to have any effect whatsoever.

Back