Iodine test fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kXb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got all excited when I bought iodine to use in my first BIAB effort to determine when mash was complete. I tested at various points during the process and saw no black wort. It seemed a bit strange that I didn't see a progression from dark to light with the various samples.

Afterwards I tested on straight up cornstarch/water slurry only to get the same result. I had purchased COLORLESS iodine. I had no idea that's what I bought....didn't even know there was such a thing!

Just thought I would share my discovery that you have to use good old fashioned iodine

Where did you find such a thing as "colorless iodine", and is it really even iodine?

Brew on :mug:

This is what you want

image.jpg

I got all excited when I bought iodine to use in my first BIAB effort to determine when mash was complete. I tested at various points during the process and saw no black wort. It seemed a bit strange that I didn't see a progression from dark to light with the various samples.

Afterwards I tested on straight up cornstarch/water slurry only to get the same result. I had purchased COLORLESS iodine. I had no idea that's what I bought....didn't even know there was such a thing!

Just thought I would share my discovery that you have to use good old fashioned iodine

Dude, exact same damn thing happened to me several months ago. Who knew!

Back