Quantcast

Iodine test fail

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kXb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I got all excited when I bought iodine to use in my first BIAB effort to determine when mash was complete. I tested at various points during the process and saw no black wort. It seemed a bit strange that I didn't see a progression from dark to light with the various samples.

Afterwards I tested on straight up cornstarch/water slurry only to get the same result. I had purchased COLORLESS iodine. I had no idea that's what I bought....didn't even know there was such a thing!

Just thought I would share my discovery that you have to use good old fashioned iodine

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Where did you find such a thing as "colorless iodine", and is it really even iodine?

Brew on :mug:

Silentdrinker

Reaction score
I got all excited when I bought iodine to use in my first BIAB effort to determine when mash was complete. I tested at various points during the process and saw no black wort. It seemed a bit strange that I didn't see a progression from dark to light with the various samples.

Afterwards I tested on straight up cornstarch/water slurry only to get the same result. I had purchased COLORLESS iodine. I had no idea that's what I bought....didn't even know there was such a thing!

Just thought I would share my discovery that you have to use good old fashioned iodine
Dude, exact same damn thing happened to me several months ago. Who knew!