IO Star Sanatizer to clean wounds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebob296

Reaction score
Hello,

I just received some IO Star Sanatizer from Northern Brewer. I know it's Iodine based and while reading the back of the label it got me curious. Being as I have 2 kids under the age of 3 if it is safe to use on cuts or abrasions?

I can't see why not, doctors used iodine to disinfect wounds for years if not decades

i'd email the company before i went around putting it into wounds. if i recall correctly iodine also kills healthy cells, which can leave you with alot of scar tissue. plus there may be some stuff in there that is technically food grade but not necessarily something you want to use on a human.

shoot em a quick email and see what they say. dont forget to share the answer.

I think that you could, but it's just wasting it if you're putting it on kids. I mean, what if you use it up, and can't brew one Sunday when the LHS is closed?

Use antibiotic ointment on cuts and stuff, you can't use that on your brewing stuff.

i'd email the company before i went around putting it into wounds. if i recall correctly iodine also kills healthy cells, which can leave you with alot of scar tissue. plus there may be some stuff in there that is technically food grade but not necessarily something you want to use on a human.

shoot em a quick email and see what they say. dont forget to share the answer.

I will do that this weekend. I am more just curious about it then anything, I do have first aid kit. I was just thinking in an emergency situation...as in this would be the only thing that I have on hand.

here you go: read the safety section:
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/IOStarTech2.pdf

I would say that is a big ole' no.

I probably wouldn't put it in a wound, either. However, just because it has an MSDS doesn't make it hazardous. I had an Industrial Engineer friend who had this huge book full of all of the OSHA approved MSDS's. There is actually a listing for Sterile Water that say if you get it in your eyes you should flush with water. TRUE STORY. I saw it with my own two eyes. Actually, I'm blind in one eye, but still...

Back