Inverted Keg for Mash Tun? Anyone using one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, using one with a brewhardware.com bottom drain. Have a Norcal stage 1 false bottom. Running RIMS with the setup. Had some issues with runoff (used rice hulls, crush at 0.028", so fairly aggressive, though conditioned / a lot of fluffy husk material), added a BIAB bag along with the false bottom, everything has been great since.

I batch sparge - get all those runnings on the burner and wait for boil to start, then once it is rolling and happy, I'll come in and pull off generally another 1/2 to 2/3 of a pitcher full of runoff. Then yank the bag, no having to move the keg this way (vs. before, taking it outside to empty grain and hose off).

Yeah - I guess not fully "BIAB" since I still heat strike water elsewhere & drain to a separate boil kettle, but the bag has helped re: lautering.

Attached a pic of my keggle - modified an existing brew stand my buddy's dad had years ago for a CFC. It's a little "tall" but you get the idea.

mash_tun.JPG

I use one in my HERMS system. I made it a "Tippy-Dump" style. I use a 15" hinged false bottom with a support ring that if I remember correctly, I got from stainlessbrewing.com. I now also use a BIAB type bag made by wilserbrewer here on the forum, it makes all the difference, not letting any bits of grain by to mess with my pumps wile sparging. My mash tun is one of my favorite parts of my brewery, I cant think of a thing I'd change about it. You can check it out in my EHERMS build thread in my signature if you like.

Back