Introduction to "exotic" beers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdm61

Reaction score
When did you guys first get introduced to some of the previously hard to find imported beers? We had access to the regular stuff like Us made Lowenbrau, Heineken, Becks, St. Pauli, Bass and some of the Canadian stuff as long as I can remember. My first real exposure to a LOT of obscure imports was at the Rathskellar at the University of Miami in the early 80's. They would have imported beer night every Thursday. The manager would come up with some interesting ones. We had fairly common stuff like Watneys, Carlsberg Elephant, Fosters, Red Stripe, etc. But he would also come up with what were fairly rare ones in the Us at the time like Macabbee. the only other place I ran across that did that was the enlisted club at Ft. Sill where they would bring in beer from places where troops had been stations. That was the first time I ever had a Hofbrau. As I statedin another thread,the first time that I went into one of those true beer stores in Westchester County, NY, that was a revelation!!! We just didn't have that kind of variety in Miami back in the day. Hell, we were still freaking over the fact that we could get Coors legally around 1983 or so.:ban:

Back