Introducing CellarTracker.org (Beta)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, it's not quite magically easy, but here's what you do:
This should probably be done from a computer, as I'm not quite sure how to do this with a mobile device.

A) Create a new Cellar in CellarTracker
A1. Open CellarTracker
A2. From the "My Cellars" page, Create a new cellar.
A3. From the "My Cellars" page, click the Import button for that cellar
A4. Leave this page open, so you can get back here for reference

B) Prepare your google spreadsheet
B1. Open your google spreadsheet.
B2. Make sure the very first row of your spreadsheet has keywords that match the Columns in the "CSV File Format" box on the CellarTracker import page. For example, you should probably have at least a "Brewery" column, and a "Name" column.

C) Export your google spreadsheet.
C1. From the pull down menus in the spreadsheet, click File->Download as->Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet)
C2. Save the file to your hard drive, and keep track of where you put it.

D) Import your file into CellarTracker
D1. Back on the CellarTracker Import page, click the "Browse..." button, and then select that file you just exported.
D2. Click the "Upload" button.

If everything went well, you should see some results come back that tells you how many rows were updated, and if there were any errors.

Edit: I'm adding this as a FAQ in the application, and I'd appreciate suggestions on how to make this process easier/more clear.
Import result unsuccessful

Ok, it's not quite magically easy, but here's what you do:
This should probably be done from a computer, as I'm not quite sure how to do this with a mobile device.

A) Create a new Cellar in CellarTracker
A1. Open CellarTracker
A2. From the "My Cellars" page, Create a new cellar.
A3. From the "My Cellars" page, click the Import button for that cellar
A4. Leave this page open, so you can get back here for reference

B) Prepare your google spreadsheet
B1. Open your google spreadsheet.
B2. Make sure the very first row of your spreadsheet has keywords that match the Columns in the "CSV File Format" box on the CellarTracker import page. For example, you should probably have at least a "Brewery" column, and a "Name" column.

C) Export your google spreadsheet.
C1. From the pull down menus in the spreadsheet, click File->Download as->Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet)
C2. Save the file to your hard drive, and keep track of where you put it.

D) Import your file into CellarTracker
D1. Back on the CellarTracker Import page, click the "Browse..." button, and then select that file you just exported.
D2. Click the "Upload" button.

If everything went well, you should see some results come back that tells you how many rows were updated, and if there were any errors.

Edit: I'm adding this as a FAQ in the application, and I'd appreciate suggestions on how to make this process easier/more clear.

I think a template .csv file, with all the headings, and correct format etc.. already set would help make the process easier for non techies. I find it easier to input into excel when starting fresh rather than using most sites UI, or for the folks with google doc's just copy and paste each column to the correct one on the template, then upload.

I think a template .csv file, with all the headings, and correct format etc.. already set would help make the process easier for non techies. I find it easier to input into excel when starting fresh rather than using most sites UI, or for the folks with google doc's just copy and paste each column to the correct one on the template, then upload.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've gone ahead and added an empty CSV file for each type of import. It's on the Import page inside the "CSV File Example" box.

I'm just going to pay some high school nerds a couple beers to input all my info.
Capitalism in the purest form.
Is this you EverybodyLovesRainman?
I've seriously fallen behind on my Untapped checkins and I feel it may affect the outlook of the beer community on my person. I'm asking for the help of an individual or individuals to input my beer consumption into untapped over the last several months. My last checkin was November 20th, I have photos of most of the beers I've drank since then and will be available 24/7 to guide you when you're not sure if I drank a beer or not. This isn't an easy task by any means so I understand if you enlist the help of several others. I can't do this on my own, you're my only hope.

lIZYYfU.gif

New feature: Charting

It's limited to a few predetermined charts right now, just bar charts of Breweries and Styles.

I created a new cellar with "Misc Style 1", I believe it was called. I wanted to see how it all looked, but was too lazy to get up and go to my cellar so I looked around, spotted a 4-pack of Aquanaut Misterioso on the kitchen counter, and tried manually entering it.

I went to my cellar and clicked New Item. Both the brewery and the beer popped up in the dropdowns and, when I chose them, autopopulated some of the fields. However, I disagreed with a couple of the values (I wanted to call it an American Porter instead of an English Porter, and Aquanaut reports the ABV as 6.0 rather than 6.20 both on their site and on the can), so I manually updated them. Then I added the description from the brewery's website in the rich text Comments field, scrolled to the top, and clicked Save.

I was taken to the URL https://cellartracker.org/item/save which threw a 403 error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /item/save on this server.​

On a side note, have you considered putting a Save button at the bottom of the New Item screen?

I look forward to giving this a shot!

I created a new cellar with "Misc Style 1", I believe it was called. I wanted to see how it all looked, but was too lazy to get up and go to my cellar so I looked around, spotted a 4-pack of Aquanaut Misterioso on the kitchen counter, and tried manually entering it.

I went to my cellar and clicked New Item. Both the brewery and the beer popped up in the dropdowns and, when I chose them, autopopulated some of the fields. However, I disagreed with a couple of the values (I wanted to call it an American Porter instead of an English Porter, and Aquanaut reports the ABV as 6.0 rather than 6.20 both on their site and on the can), so I manually updated them. Then I added the description from the brewery's website in the rich text Comments field, scrolled to the top, and clicked Save.

I was taken to the URL https://cellartracker.org/item/save which threw a 403 error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /item/save on this server.​

On a side note, have you considered putting a Save button at the bottom of the New Item screen?

I look forward to giving this a shot!

Thanks for the bug report, there is some pretty hefty security that is loaded on the site, and I'm still getting some false positives. Please try again, and see if it goes through this time.

Currently, the site gets a lot of it's data from http://brewerydb.com , which is probably where that ABV of 6.0 vs 6.2 is coming from. Eventually we'd like to have a way to submit updated data back to that system, but there's nothing like that in place.

Thanks for the feedback on the save button location, that's a very good idea.

Also, while the comments field can be used for a description of the beer, after you've saved the item for the first time, you should see another place to put description and images (on the right hand side of the screen if on a pc, or below if mobile). Those descriptions are automatically being loaded from brewerydb when available, but you can also submit a description there yourself if it's blank or needs to be updated.

We really appreciate your feedback!

Thanks for the bug report, there is some pretty hefty security that is loaded on the site, and I'm still getting some false positives. Please try again, and see if it goes through this time.

Currently, the site gets a lot of it's data from http://brewerydb.com , which is probably where that ABV of 6.0 vs 6.2 is coming from. Eventually we'd like to have a way to submit updated data back to that system, but there's nothing like that in place.

Thanks for the feedback on the save button location, that's a very good idea.

Also, while the comments field can be used for a description of the beer, after you've saved the item for the first time, you should see another place to put description and images (on the right hand side of the screen if on a pc, or below if mobile). Those descriptions are automatically being loaded from brewerydb when available, but you can also submit a description there yourself if it's blank or needs to be updated.

We really appreciate your feedback!
Yep, it went through this time with no problems. Also, good heads up on the description/image fields...I actually like that better, because I can enter the bare minimum initially and then fill things in as needed. However, the brewerydb description & image were pretty darn good for Misterioso (matched what was on the brewery's site), so I didn't have to make any updates.

Thanks for the response & fix!

Update 3/4/2016
Bug fixed: Move items between picklists now working again
Enhancement: Link URLs moved to tabbed section of the item page, to better reflect their shared nature.
Enhancement: brewerydb.com link added to URL section whenever it is present

after just loading my cellar sheet in the thing that bothers me straight away is that beer name is to left of brewery since I got the other way around in my cellar sheet

after just loading my cellar sheet in the thing that bothers me straight away is that beer name is to left of brewery since I got the other way around in my cellar sheet
Views are customizable so you can arrange the columns in the order that best suits you. On the Cellars screen, select the cellar you want to manage, select Edit, Views, then the view you wish to change and view columns. From there you can arrange columns in whichever order you wish. At any time you can make rearrangements or restore defaults.

While I can attest that a medium rare steak and Raison D'Extra is fantastic, I'd be curious to see the breakdown of your DFH cellar as I'm assuming some of it might be cellar casualties.
In order: D'Extra, Olde School, 120 Min, Immort and a few stragglers I probably don't need to be sitting on.

me again whith question or anoying suggestions. is there a setting to have all the sizes in ml instead some in ml and some in oz?

here comes my rant about like cellarhq it becomes to centered on american thinking
I give you props that you allow letters from scandinavian languages something that took cellerhq some time

me again whith question or anoying suggestions. is there a setting to have all the sizes in ml instead some in ml and some in oz?

here comes my rant about like cellarhq it becomes to centered on american thinking
I give you props that you allow letters from scandinavian languages something that took cellerhq some time
The goal is to have it be as user friendly as possible. The US has some goofy labeling laws when it comes to booze (beer can be in oz, and typically is, but wine of any kind, including mead must be in mL), so we are open to maintaining both as needed. To make it more usable for everyone, the database does learn, so if there is a size you need that you don't see, you should be able to type it in instead of selecting from the list.

The goal is to have it be as user friendly as possible. The US has some goofy labeling laws when it comes to booze (beer can be in oz, and typically is, but wine of any kind, including mead must be in mL), so we are open to maintaining both as needed. To make it more usable for everyone, the database does learn, so if there is a size you need that you don't see, you should be able to type it in instead of selecting from the list.
it´s just that in spread sheet I uploaded everything was in ml but the site then changed it oz on the 355 and 650 ml to Oz instead

it´s just that in spread sheet I uploaded everything was in ml but the site then changed it oz on the 355 and 650 ml to Oz instead

When a size that is not listed is imported, we set it to a default of 22 oz. We can go ahead and add 355ml and 650ml sizes to the size list, which should allow those sizes to be imported.

When a size that is not listed is imported, we set it to a default of 22 oz. We can go ahead and add 355ml and 650ml sizes to the size list, which should allow those sizes to be imported.

thanks, is just the ocd in my head that gets bugged by it being in to diffrent systems

Back