Interesting starter picture, 1968 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reisende

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I made I starter with WY1968, the first time I've used the strain. Everything was normal, 1.2L 1.038OG made with DME, pinch of yeast nutrient, put on stir plate at about 70F ambient. CO2 bubbles started within 6 hours or so.

THEN... I see this today after about 15 hours from pitch. It smells normal, and I believe in my sanitation practices as I have yet to have an infection or known contamination (knock on wood) since I started brewing 16 batches ago. The only thing I can think of is that the yeast flocculated once they were done with the starter wort, and just stayed clumped. After turning off the stir plate, the yeast settled FAST into a normal creamy layer. I know Fuller's is a super-floc'er, just wanted a second opinion. Anyone?

NCM_0518.jpg

Looks just like the 1968 starter that i made a while back. I don't think you have anything to worry about. The beer that my starter was pitched into won 1st place in the American Wheat category in a competition I entered it in.

Thanks. This is one of the many reasons I love this forum, having some experience around when you need it!

Back