Interesting find accompanied by a question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1999

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I bottled my first batch about 3-4 weeks ago and had an interesting find. Some background first: I bottled my beer and bottled conditioned them a little differently the first week. I put a few at room temperature, about 70 degrees. And the rest in my basement for the first week. It was a little too cool in my basement and so after a week, I moved all of the beers to the spot that was 70 degrees.
What I noticed:
The beers that bottle conditioned all at about 70 degrees have come out much better so far. They came out sweeter. The beers that began conditioning in my basement all came out with a bitter taste so far. Anyone have any insight into why the beers that bottle conditioned at a lower temperature to start, about 65 degrees, which is where they originally fermented, came out with a bitter taste so far? Will an extra week at 70 degrees help them? Anyone have an ideas? If this isn't clear, let me know and I will explain again. Thanks!

Also, when yeast work at cooler temperatures they are more thorough, so there will be fewer residual sugars in the finished beer. That would have a more significant effect in the fermenter rather than after bottling, but it may be part of the reason why the warmer-conditioned beers are sweeter.

Also, when yeast work at cooler temperatures they are more thorough, so there will be fewer residual sugars in the finished beer.

What you are saying depends on the yeast strain .

Ale strains work more effectively at warmer temperatures and the result is much cleaner .

Hector

What you are saying depends on the yeast strain .

Ale strains work more effectively at warmer temperatures and the result is much cleaner .

What you are saying depends on the yeast strain.

Nottingham is clean and thorough at 60f. I hear similar things about S-05.

But bottle priming is a different game entirely, since you already have alcohol and then add more sugar.

Also, when yeast work at cooler temperatures they are more thorough, so there will be fewer residual sugars in the finished beer. That would have a more significant effect in the fermenter rather than after bottling, but it may be part of the reason why the warmer-conditioned beers are sweeter.

no they aren't. Cooler temps on ale yeasts just keep them from producing esters & off flavors,making them cleaner. By sweeter I think he means smoother;less green like a young beer. But that's the reason for cooler ferment temps,cleaner flavor from less ester production & other off flavor compounds.

Thanks all.
The beers that were bottle conditioning at a higher temperature have a sweeter flavor. Would the bitter flavor from the beers that fermented at the cooler temperature for the first week be just a greener tasting beer?

Back