Interesting FG reading... need interpretation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

year2beer

Reaction score
Ok, I've been fermenting my double hop head IPA with 20g of S-05 at a 64F from my 1.068-70 OG ( hydrometer is kind of cheap--refractometer is on the way).

Mr. Malty recommended 16g, but a few yeast studies I've read recommend 4-6g/l at my Plato levels. As such-- I figure I may have over-pitched a bit. I primary fermented at 64F for EXACTLY 7 days...then dry hopped last night (in primary).

My FG was supposed to be 1.018--but I'm at 1.016 already and the airlock is still bubbling... I don't want the CO2 to transport all my hop aroma away, but it was bubbling every 30-60 sec. seemed like it was time to dry hop (based on forum research--and the smell of the wort sample I tasted last night).

Now I'm a huge fan of alcohol, but the reality is that I still want everyone to enjoy my brews...

SO, I've dry hopped and lowered the fermentation to 59F. I'm hoping the yeast will slow down, but still clean up their messes, lol... even though the beer tastes amazing already (and smells even better!).

I'm thinking about cold crashing for 12-24 hours, but don't know if it is really necessary. My overall goal is to keep my FG right where it is, and allow the yeast to condition the beer...but stop the initial aggressive fermenting (or at least slow down).

I'll be taking a gravity measurement tonight to see how the temp. drop worked out...

Thanks again guys!

J

well fermentables are fementables...your just gonna make your priming unpredictable using that strategy...

ppl here will ask for mash temp and grain before they can answer that question.

Back