Interesting brewing story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwalt

Reaction score
* any grammatical errors I blame on the beer *
I'm sitting there with my laptop in the garage having just start my boil and I see a dog's nose pop up under the garage door that is open about 2-3'. My neighbor’s dog scurries in and just sits down next to me... kind of like hey bud, hook me up when this is done?

So my neighbor sticks his head under the door and I open it enough to let him walk in and the look on his face is like "what the hell did I just stumble upon." I'm not sure why, but it might have been the massive stack of bottles I just rescued from a Christmas party that needed to be cleaned and the full boil that was raging.

He walks in and asks what I'm making. I respond that this was my 3rd batch of beer, an Oatmeal Stout. He asks a few random questions regarding how I got the idea to brew and why and then he leaves a few minutes later.

I figured at this point I would be getting a cease and desist letter from my homeowners association based on the look he had on his face. About 15 minutes later a buddy of mine in the 'hood walks up and sticks his head in. "Dude, Peter told me that you were brewing beer back here... that's fu**** awesome. Mind if I join you?" Of course Dave is carrying a beer which I think is a good sign.

So, Dave pulled up a chair and we had a nice discussion about beer and brewing. He helped me chill the wort and pitch the yeast. Just as we were cleaning up Dave's fiancé' walks up and see what is going on. Her immediate response... "WONDERFUL!!!" At first we were perplexed at her response. She went on to explain that he late father was an AVID brewer and beer connoisseur. As she and Dave walked off, Dave yelled back to call next time I got ready to brew that he would buy the kit. (I'm still extract brewing)

Tonight I believe that I have expanded a friendship and possibly made a new enemy. Ah the joys of brewing your own beer. :rockin:

Not that this is that great of a story, I just figured I would share it with you all. Merry Christmas.

Cool. Nothing like getting the neighbors onboard with brewing and drinking. Especially the drinking part, because then when you need to brew you remind the SWMBO that the neighbors dranks all the beer.

Hey it IS a great story. :D

Make sure you follow up on the offer of letting them know when you do the next brew... it's great to make friendships like that!

rock on. my neighbors are all old. they do not brew, and i do not think beer and geritol mix, so i am not likely to make any brew buddies around here....

I don't even know my neighbors... Well, the ones behind me run a dog grooming and kennel business, but they are old. I fix their computers and this new years they said they'd kennel the dogs for free.

It'd be nice to have someone come over and watch. I have a friend that I usually invite, but he usually gets to talking about politics and what not. I don't know how many times I mention that I hate politics, that stuff and religion and whatnot still comes up.

Man, I just want to focus on the beer and do some idle talk. Maybe some day I'll set him up with his own batch, and he can brew his own (he only drinks beer because he needs it for his health. I hope some day he will end up drinking it because he likes it, but he has never been much for drinking alcohol of any kind).

Yea, I fully intend to ask him to come back and help brew. My neighborhood is usually pretty low key and somewhat uneventful. But there are plenty of dogs and if they're like my dog they love beer. (So I understand why that dog ran into the garage)

I have a buddy that always claims that he really really wants to learn but never can make it to help. I've pretty much figured out how to handle everything alone though. Maybe this guy will come through!!

Back