Installing SS faucets inside of a fridge.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalkermed

Reaction score
I will eventually build a kegerator when the time is right but for now I just have a couple kegs in a spare fridge that I don't want to drill holes in.

Anyone have any good ideas of how to install 2 perlick ss faucets inside of the fridge. Maybe using a board or something? Just don't know the best way to secure the board.

I'd just build some type of sturdy platform out of wood, mount the faucets to it, and secure it to a shelf. If the shelves are solid, you could probably use 2-sided tape or velcro. That should hold for a while plus it's easy to remove when you need to mess with your lines.

A couple of $3 plastic picnic taps seem like the way to go at this juncture. Just easier to install, and frankly to use.

Just my $.02.

Yeah I have picnic taps right now. Just would like to mount them. Gonna buy the faucets anyway for the kegerator. Just be nice to no have to pick them, set them down, repeat. I know that sounds lazy, but I'm really not. When I make this happen I'll post back with a pic!
Cheers.

You mean kinda like this?

WP_000113.jpg

No, it's a piece of 11 ga 304 SST sheet metal, grained all purty-like, with 1" flanges formed back at the top and bottom and 3x 1" dia laser-cut holes on 4" centers for the faucets.

The actual unit is two pieces of wood shelving (base and front) held together with a couple of 3" "L" brackets and the SST is just covering the front and secured in place by the faucets. There are also some Home Depot rubber feet stuck to the bottom of the base to keep the whole thing from sliding around on the glass shelf.

I'm a manager at a sheet metal fabrication & machine shop, so I was able to get the SST piece done on the sly as a "G-job."

Here's a view of it from the side (as best as I could get, anyway)...

Also, I was mistaken in my description. There is only one flange at the top, not one at the bottom.

WP_000116.jpg

hey now, that's pretty sweet! I have a similar issue. I have a spare fridge that's mine for beer but I don't really feel like drilling holes in it. Might have to do something like this!

attachment.php

Solution found. Usually ingenuity... or desperation wins out. This will be a good temporary solution until I can get a keezer up and running.

I used the following:
1) For the bar/brace. http://www.lowes.com/pd_70938-427-9...urrentURL=?Ntt=adjustab+bar+hanger&facetInfo=

2) Rubber grip pads on the side x2 http://www.lowes.com/pd_310997-255-4118495N_0__?productId=3091005&Ntt=

3) To mount the fauces. Had to dremel out the holes just a little for the shanks to fit. http://www.lowes.com/pd_70967-53911...t=70967&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=70967&facetInfo=

About $11 dollars total to mount it. The real money was spent on those nice perlicks. What you guys/gals think?

I did something similar to LLbeanJ........just a bit more ghetto. If you are interested I can take some pics. I love my set up.

I have an old Admiral refrigerator which has a freezer on top. I just drilled using a 1" hole saw through the right side. I have four holes for Perlick faucets and one for the co2 to pressure the kegs. On these have have a 1/2" plywood board as a bulkhead board on the outside of the refrigerator. Since I have six 5 G. Ball lock kegs, I also have a bank of distribution valves on the interior left side. I just bolted them through the side. Don't be afraid of hitting a refrigeration coil, I believe their all run in the back. Also you can check by drilling a small hole through the metal side and then poking a wire through the rest of the insulation to see if there are any refrigeration tubes in the side.

I have an old Admiral refrigerator which has a freezer on top. I just drilled using a 1" hole saw through the right side. I have four holes for Perlick faucets and one for the co2 to pressure the kegs. On these have have a 1/2" plywood board as a bulkhead board on the outside of the refrigerator. Since I have six 5 G. Ball lock kegs, I also have a bank of distribution valves on the interior left side. I just bolted them through the side. Don't be afraid of hitting a refrigeration coil, I believe their all run in the back. Also you can check by drilling a small hole through the metal side and then poking a wire through the rest of the insulation to see if there are any refrigeration tubes in the side.

Yes I considered drilling the door or side, but I just wanted a temporary solution until I build a keezer then the fridge can go back to being a spare fridge.

Yes I considered drilling the door or side, but I just wanted a temporary solution until I build a keezer then the fridge can go back to being a spare fridge.

Pretty much same here. It wasn't necessarily a temp solution, but I didn't want to do permanent damage to the fridge. Also, my fridge is in the garage and I didn't want the taps exposed, as I'm far too lazy to clean them out after every pour to preclude critters from taking up residency inside the spouts.

Earlier today I was pricing parts to add faucets to my fridge, and I decided it would be too expensive to do it like I wanted to. Looking at this thread, I'm inspired to set something up inside the fridge just like this. Add a couple to a piece of wood and I'm done. woo hoo! Excellent idea.

What I like about my solution is it takes up so little room that I don't lose shelf space. Though does look a little ghetto I suppose.

Latest posts

Back