Insipid watery flavor and aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshmk

Reaction score
Hello all,

Getting back into the all-grain game after a few year hiatus. I have been having issues the past few batches with boring watery results after fermentation. This is especially odd considering I have been brewing stouts which should have pretty robust roasty character. I have read that mash and boil pH which is too high can cause these insipid results. I do not currently measure pH during my process. However, I have been brewing exclusively with R.O. water with 1 tsp of CaCL2 and no lactic/sauermalz per 5 gallons following AJ's water primer for roasty beers. I treat all ~10gallons before brewing.

Could my mash pH still be too high? My most recent recipe reads a lil' something like this:

9.5lb American 2-row
3lb Munich I
1.25lb Flaked barley
1lb Roasted Barley 500L
12oz Chocolate malt 350L

1oz Mosaic @ 60min
0.5oz Mosaic @ 10min
Whirlfloc/yeast nutrient @ 10min

*edit* forgot to mention I mashed this at 154F (measured) for 60 minutes, then sparged with 168F water

Starter of WLP004 Irish ale yeast, cooled in <15 minutes with a copper immersion chiller and manual stirring for a whirlpool. What I would consider quite a bit of cold break does make it into the fermentor. The beers ferment out almost completely in 4-5 days in my fermentation chamber set at 60F (thermometer sticker shows the beer itself at ~65F). I then warm up to around 68F (thermometer sticker temp) for three or four days to let the yeast clean up, then cold crash 48ish hours and keg.

The beers pour perfectly from my picnic tap and look fantastic with a nice thick foam, but are just very boring in both flavor and aroma. Where I expect burnt coffee roast aroma and flavor, I am getting only a very slight astringency with little else of note. Should I focus on measuring mash pH or look at something else first?

I plugged these values into the Brewer's Friend water calculator (my standard), and with a 1.5 qt/lb mash thickness, 15.5 lbs of grain as stated, 4.5g (1 tsp) CaCl, and 10 gallons total RO water, it estimates mash pH at room temp as 5.44. That would be just dandy.

The water mineral content shows Ca as only 32 ppm, and Chloride as 57 ppm. No other minerals register (Mg, Na, SO4, etc.). Still, with 11% roasted malts, I'd expect some flavor... that's odd. If your mash pH was really too high, you'd probably have some obvious unpleasant flavors - not NO flavor.

Did you use 1 or 2 tsp of CaCl? If you used 2, mash pH is showing 5.4 (still fine), with Ca at 65 and Cl at 114. That would be marginally better from a mineral perspective, especially the Ca.

Any chance of oxidation somewhere in the process? Do let stouts sit in the package for 2-3 weeks before they come into their own, just a thought.

I used 2 tsp total for ~9.5 gallons, so slightly more than 1tsp per 5 gallons. I do collect my runnings in a separate aluminum pot and pour them from there into the stainless steel kettle before boiling. Could that be causing enough hot side aeration to cause problems? I have used this method in years past without issue.

So your mash pH was marginally lower, and minerals a bit higher... But I'd not imagine the results to be problematic. And I highly doubt your wort collection process is an issue. Maybe the beer just needs some time? Sorry not to be of any real help.

Realizing now that I just may need more roasted malts to get the roasted flavor I am looking for in a beer this size. Will bump the roast to ~20% for the next batch instead of ~13%.

Back