insect floating in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjphillybrew

Reaction score
Went down to check on my NB Hefeweizen that has been in carboy for almost two weeks and see I small insect floating in my airlock. I only removed the airlock once in the last two weeks so maybe it got in then or it was in there the whole time? I'm guessing this doesn't matter at all but only my 2nd batch and figured I would share!

Thanx!

RDWHAHB It's fine. Beer is hearty stuff. We as brewers try really hard to be clean and sanitary but they have been making beer for thousands of years, well before they knew what cells were, let alone single celled organisms. It's probably going to be fine.

Do you have water in your airlock? I fill mine with sanitizer just in case. Others fill with the cheapest vodka you find at the store.

does ur airlock have a lid with small holes? I fill mine with vodka which attracts the small insects, but since I have a lid on mine, insects can't get in, but air gets out.

Latest posts

Back