Insane blow of on OG of 1.031?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carter840

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I brewed a Belgian Triple the other day and used additional sparge water to create a secondary lower gravity beer. This lower gravity beer was then sour kettled with Lacto for 2 Days (took a while to get any activity). In the boil I added 1.5lbs of dark candi sugar and 1/2 lb of extra light DME.

Hydrometer reading was a mere 1.031. I was somewhat disappointed with this low reading, but hoped that my candi sugar content would produce a highly fermtable beer that might get below 1.010. I siphoned off some Krasuen from this beer’s big brother, since I had nice active yeast (GY 015) just sitting there.

I come home yesterday and I have an explosive blow off (2 Days onto ferm). This blow off was nuts. No blow off tube bc I figured the low gravity didn’t stand a chance at a blow off. I had dense nuggets of yeast all over the place. I’ve never seen such thick yeast in a blow off and the sheer volume was also impressive. How is this possible with en OG of 1.031?

Other things to note:
I let the temps get hot (76 in the vessel), I like my Belgians to have lots of yeasty character.
Headspace was limited figure .5 gallons at most.

I know the above screams hugely active fermentation, but with an OG so low I was still surprised. What are everyone’s thoughts?

My thoughts would be you had all the right stuff: simple sugars, active, acclimated yeast, and warm temps. It all came together to give you a 12 hr fermentation.

I agree a perfect storm of sorts for rapid fermentation, but the kicker is that one day later and it’s still going strong. More blow off this morning too (lucky I had a blow off tube setup this time).

Is it possible something else is atypical with this fermentation given that it was a sour kettle. Any bugs should have been killed on the boil but I’m wondering if other things such as lower PH could have impacted fermentation.

Just seems like too much activity for my low initial OG.

Any suggestions on how long I should ferment this?

I just brewed a 1.042 Hefeweizen and used Imperial Stephon yeast , fermenting at 66 and had it spewing out the top for 3 days before it started to calm down. I really thought it wouldn’t but nope , always expect a yeast explosion from a Hefeweizen.

So what is it about a Hefeweizen that causes such activity or is it entirely yeast related?

Any suggestions for how long I should keep this thing in primary for? I’ve already started to see activity slow on the airlock.

Keep it in primary until you have the same SG reading at least two days apart. Then package directly from primary. You can optionally cold crash prior to packaging.

Brew on :mug:

There wouldn't happen to be a layer of 'sweet' sediment formed on the bottom of the fermenter would there?

Back