Input on Oak and Vanilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWKSLVR

Reaction score
OK, I'm looking for some opinions from you guys that have used oak cubes and/or vanilla in your ciders. I'm starting some smallish batches and I want to play quite a bit because let's face it, playing with cider is fun, cheap and not labor intensive. Here's what I'm currently thinking:

Primary Fermentation:
3 Gallons "Cider" (closest I can get to semi-decent is store bought crap that is from concentrate)
Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale
12oz Belgian Candi Sugar
Ferment @ 70-72*

Secondary Fermentation:
Undecided amount of French Oak Cubes that have been soaked in ApfelKorn, sitting in secondary for 1-2 months maybe? Will you get any "more" oak flavor out of heavy toast cubes in a shorter amount of time as medium toast cubes? I ordered some of both types.

Last 1-2 weeks of secondary, add 3-5" worth of Vanilla Beans, split, scrapped, chopped or the equivalent in Vanilla Extract. I probably need to adjust that amount, I'm just guessing. I do not want the vanilla or the oak to be dominating.

I do not care about clearing it up any. "Dirty" cider is kinda fun so it matters not to me.

I do not know what to expect out of the oak cubes at all. I like subtle amounts oak, like you find in something like Oaked Arrogant Bastard where you get that dry, woody/grainy taste on your palette at the end like you just sucked on a bunch of toothpicks. I'm not sure how to make a similar characteristic transfer over into a cider, especially when you aren't dealing with a complex flavor profile starting with cider from freaking concentrate as a base. A buddy of mine used 2oz's of homemade vanilla extract in 5 gallons of a Vanilla Porter and it was VERY nice, not over powering at all, but it was the memorable characteristic of the beer. Different brew, different flavor profile, I get that.

Basically, I'm looking to make something unique, somewhat complex and of course, enjoyable, but I don't want the drinker to have to hunt for "what's that taste?" I plan to not back sweeten unless it needs a very small amount at the time I bottle carbonate.

Experiences? Ideas? Tons of ammo on what this will turn out nasty? :D

Back