Inland Island Bavarian Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettomomyces

LHBS Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I actually couldn't find a thread referencing this yeast with a search...

INISBC 543

This strain comes straight from Germany and produces excellent hefeweizen. Yeast produces isoamylacetate (banana) in response to stress. To produce a banana bomb pitch only half of the vial and underaerate. To create a hefeweizen with clove notes pitch entire vial and aerate normally.

65-75% Attenuation
Low Flocculaton
65-72 F Temperature Range
Medium Alcohol Tolerance
It's from Denver's new yeast co, Inland Island. I got a vial of 50mL or so from Quirky Homebrew up in Thornton. The owner guessed it might be about 150B cells, and the vial was only 5 days old.

I stepped it up in a starter for a 11g batch of Hefeweizen. Starter (stir-plate) lagged almost 24 hours before finally picking up and then it took a while to finish. Actual beer finished in about 10 days.

I did a pretty simple hefe with it, half white wheat half pils with 5% table sugar (tip from an AHA seminar, increased glucose has been found to help achieve better ester complexity, wish I had an actual paper on this) and Hallertauer to 15IBU. Fermented at 18C for 4 days then bumped it up to 20C over a couple days and held there till it finished. OG 1.046, FG 1.011

Overall impression: Really great balance between banana and clove when fermented at this temp. I had a neighbor who's into beer but never had Hefeweizen before tell me everything was very balanced. Accents the wheat and pils in a soft, gentle way. I do get a big bubblegum element to it though, and it has subsided a little bit but it's still very strong.

Anyone else have experience with it? I want to use this yeast again but I'm wondering if there's a better temp to ferment at...maybe a degree colder?

I split the batch between two kegs and primed the other with pineapple juice, that guy get's popped next week :mug:

I have been looking for a "bubble-gummy" hefe yeast for a while. Sounds like this is it! I have used a few of their other strains and I have been very happy with the results. If you like saison, try their INISBC 291 Saison Farmhouse. High attenuation but leaves a full mouthfeel.

The bubblegum is subsiding a little, it's only been in the keg about a week, but it's there. I'll definitely be using it again sometime this summer, kept a quart slurry in the fridge.

If you're interested in grabbing some of it shoot me a PM, I kept more than enough.

Back