Inkbird thermometer, temperature inside fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lms94

Reaction score
Guys,

I have an inkbird which is on the outside of my thermenter with bubbles wrap around it.

How much higher is the temperature likely to be inside the thermenter?

So if I wanted to thermenter at 24C max, would I put my ink bird limit to something like 22C?

On my first brew I used a digital thermometer probe on the side of the bucket, covered by insulating foam.

Before brew day I tested with water in the bucket. The temperature as measured by the bucket-probe was always within 1 degree F of the actual water temperature measured in the water itself.

Conclusion... Your method should be accurate to within a degree or so.

On my first brew I used a digital thermometer probe on the side of the bucket, covered by insulating foam.

Before brew day I tested with water in the bucket. The temperature as measured by the bucket-probe was always within 1 degree F of the actual water temperature measured in the water itself.

Conclusion... Your method should be accurate to within a degree or so.

This is probably a good way of using a probe and I do it this way on occasion. Another way is to drill a hole in your fermenter lid (if you use plastic pails) then put in a rubber grommet which a thermowell fits down into. Your Inkbird (or similar) probe slides right down the hollow thermowell. It is a pretty simple fix and the readings are real accurate reading down in the center of the wort.

Back