Inkbird temp control setting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stosh

Reaction score
We know that as beer ferments it produces heat. According to an article in Brew Your Own magazine "the heat generated by an active fermentation can warm a typical 5-gallon (19-L) batch of beer by 10 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit (5.5 to 8.3 degrees Celsius)."

I brewed 3 gallons of IPA yesterday and put it in my mini fridge for temperature control using an Inkbird. I just tape a piece of foam to the outside of the bucket and slide the temp probe between the two. This is a new setup I just got and I'm trying to dial it in.

If the temperature can swing 10-15 degrees what temp do I set the Inkbird at? I used WLP 002 that states the optimum fermentation temp is 65-68F. OG was 1.054.

Is there a means of predicting the temperature increase based on OG and type of yeast used so the Inkbird can be set accordingly? I have it set for 60 degrees right now and am considering increasing it to 62 on Tuesday or when fermentation starts to slow.

I'm trying to manage my perfectionism so am I overthinking this?

You set the inkbird at the fermentation temp you wish to hold. As the wort heats up, it'll signal the inkbird to turn on the ferm chamber,
and counteract the exothermic action of the yeast.

Set the differential to 1 degree.

I'm trying to manage my perfectionism so am I overthinking this?

That is an interesting question.

There are places you can be too perfectionist, in that it either creates paralysis by analysis, or that you invest a lot of time/resources in something that is imperceptible.

You can control ferm temp to about a degree, plus or minus. Is there any value in trying to control it to .1 degree, plus or minus, or would the effort/time/resources be better used elsewhere? Answer: elsewhere. (The temp of the wort itself varies by more than .1 degrees, so no, you can't control it to that level).

But...there's another way to look at this. I'm a believer in continuous quality improvement; that is, every time you brew, try to do at least one thing better than your last brew. Over time, the accumulation of small advantages adds up to an improved product, and eventually, an excellent product.

As I was learning to brew--well, I'm still learning and always will be--I'd read about best practices in brewing and if they made sense to me, I'd try to adopt them. Things like oxygenating the wort prior to pitch, as opposed to just shaking the fermenter; temperature control of fermentation (you!); mash temperature control; things like that.

I'd make the adjustments in the areas that would seem to have the greatest impact, based on what I'd read. Ferm temp control, BTW, is one of the biggest if not the biggest.

Over time, guess what happened to the quality of my beer? Yeah. It's at the point where friends want to buy it at store prices, even a local bar owner wants to sell it. Can't, not licensed, but I have some fairly compelling evidence that the process of continuous quality improvement worked--and is working--for me.

So--are you too perfectionist? If you view this as a journey toward perfection, something you can never reach, no, you're not. If you judge yourself only against perfection, then yes. It's a journey; do you keep getting closer to perfection? As Vince Lombardi is reputed to have said, "You can't achieve perfection, but if you chase perfection, you can achieve excellence."

Not a bad mantra to live by, IMO.

Last edited:
I just tape a piece of foam to the outside of the bucket and slide the temp probe between the two.

You can improve on this by getting a thermowell. https://www.brewershardware.com/Thermowells/
I have the Inkbird ITC-310-B which is programmable up to 12 stages. My process is as follows. Take note of the optimum fermentation temperature of your yeast in which you did. Set your controller at the lowest optimum temp and increase it a degree per day (or 2 days) so that the bulk of fermentation finishes at the upper optimum temperature. Then raise it for a few more days to clean up (diacetil rest).

If the temperature can swing 10-15 degrees what temp do I set the Inkbird at? I used WLP 002 that states the optimum fermentation temp is 65-68F. OG was 1.054...I have it set for 60 degrees right now and am considering increasing it to 62 on Tuesday or when fermentation starts to slow.

I just brewed my first batch with WLP002 in in a while. I did not notice how tight the range specified by White Labs is. I doubt it is that critical to keep in in that specific range.

What is your reason for setting the temp that low? To take in account of the 10-15 degree swing? That might happen if you are not using temp control and just let the temp free rise. In your case, just set the temp to the target temp (say 66F). With active fermentation, the temp on the edge is very close to the temp in the middle, and with the foam layer your probe should be very close to the temp of the beer.

What is your reason for setting the temp that low? To take in account of the 10-15 degree swing?

Initially yes that was my train of thought but as always I was overthinking the whole thing.
As mongoose said you set the temp to where you want it and let the inkbird do its thing.

I was also wondering about the temp in the center of the bucket vs the outside (where the temp probe is) but realized that the wort moves around pretty good during fermentation judging by what I've observed using carboys.

I also believe that with only 3 gallons the temp control should be easier/more accurate since there is less liquid it should be more responsive to temp.

But...there's another way to look at this. I'm a believer in continuous quality improvement; that is, every time you brew, try to do at least one thing better than your last brew. Over time, the accumulation of small advantages adds up to an improved product, and eventually, an excellent product.

Agreed. I do aim to improve one thing during each brew day regardless of what it is. I prefer to write it down along with my recipe and brew day outline then update my notes as the day goes. I can then review it later to see if it made a difference.

It is the journey toward perfection that I enjoy the most. Last weekends brew day was by far the single most enjoyable and relaxing I've had. Mission accomplished...

Thank you all for your input. RDWHAHB

Back