Inkbird ITC-1000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
So I just built a controller for a ferm chamber using the itc 1000 and I don't understand the temperature calibration setting.
The directions that came with it don't really explain this feature. Help is needed.
Also, I've never used one so any pointers will be great. How accurate is it? Placement on bucket? Best insulation to use? So on and so on.
Thank you all for your help in advance

Temperature calibration value is used to offset the probe temperature. For example, if you did a side-by-side with a reliable thermometer and the STC-1000 reads a degree off in one direction, you would adjust the temperature calibration value accordingly. You can also make an ice bath to check accuracy. Keep it at default 0, unless you know the probe is off.

I use an inkbird for my kegerator and I found the probe to be pretty accurate.

For fermenting, I've used a combination of foam pipe insulation and reflectix to insulate the probe to my carboy.

How off is your controller?

I don't know if the controller is off at all. I just got the box hooked up and I didn't understand that feature in the manual.
I'm stopping on my way home to get the freezer and will have the chamber up and running tonite.
Just looking for advice from people with experience.

The ITC-1000 "CA" parameter is for calibrating the probe to the unit.

Obviously, you should have the probe at a known temperature confirmed by a trusted thermometer before starting this procedue.

- enter "parameter selection" mode by pressing and holding the S key until the first parameter appears (should be "TS" for the Set Point parameter).

- then use the arrow keys to walk through the parameters until you get to "CA".

- then press the S key to enter "parameter setting" mode.

- then use the arrow keys to adjust the calibration parameter. You want to put the inverse of the difference between the probe reading and the "real" temperature. So if the probe is reading two degrees high, set the CA parameter to -2.

- then press the S key to exit the "parameter setting" mode.

*** NOTE THAT THE NEW VALUE HAS NOT BEEN SAVED YET! ***

The firmware lets you change any/all of the parameter values before writing the settings to memory.

- finally, press the "power" button to save the (entire) parameter set to flash.

Cheers!

Thanks for the help.
I got the unit all hooked up to my freezer last night and all seems to be going pretty good. I was tired of swapping ice bottles out in the swamp cooler that's for sure!
Anyway, my fermenter was @64*F so I set the temp to 62 for over nite and then turned it down to my target of 60 this morning before leaving for work.
I didn't get a chance to check the probe for accuracy but I will do so soon. The temp strip on the bucket read 62 and the digital display read 62.8 this morning so if the temp strip is close then the unit is close.
Compressor delay is set for 5 min. Should I set it for longer delay or less delay?

Longer delay. The maximum should be 10 minutes, set it for that. Your freezer's compressor will thank you for it.

Just for reference, since the probes are not very linear and manufacturing tolerances can vary, it is best to "calibrate" your probe at or around the target temp you'll be using. So for fermenting, 65F would be a good value. If used in a keezer/kegerator, you may want to calibrate at 38-48F, whatever your holding/serving temp is.

Needless to say, you'll need a good/decent source thermometer to calibrate against.

Last edited:
I use a Taylor digital probe for brewing will that be sufficient? It is accurate to +/- 1*F when checked against ice water and boiling water.

Fill a cup with ice and water. Stir, let it sit a few minutes then stir again. The temp of that water should be 32F or 0c. Then you can calibrate your itc. I found my itc to be off by a half degree. Didn't bother correcting it.

Back