Inkbird controller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poudrehound

Reaction score
Hello all, haven't posted in a while, but I am starting to get back into home brewing and I appreciate what a great resource this site is. I brewed a 5 gallon IPA and I am ready to keg it but when I turned on my Marvel kegerator the damn thing just keeps on running and running. I think the thermostat is bad. A new one is expensive so I thought I'd try one the inkbird products to control the temperature. My question is (I can't seem to find an answer) is how do you set the controller up? Do you just turn up the thermostat on the fridge and plug it into the controller? Is it that simple? Thanks in advance.

PH

I’d double check the cost of replacement thermostat via some online appliance parts stores.

Otherwise, turn your fridge tstat to the coldest setting or even bypass it all together by removing it. Inkbird 308’s have internal compressor delay timers to protect a/c compressors from cycling. I’m a tape the probe to the sidewall with insulation kind of guy myself.

Thanks buddy, I just ordered one and will see how it goes. Really disappointed with this Marvel kegerator. Third time in 5 years I've had an issue with it.

I've been looking for an inkbird but all I see currently is the 308 model, which I am not familiar with... Anyone have info on it or the prior models (I seem to recall a model 134 ???)?

I've been looking for an inkbird but all I see currently is the 308 model, which I am not familiar with... Anyone have info on it or the prior models (I seem to recall a model 134 ???)?

I just got the 308 for my fermentation chamber and it works great! Very easy to use and reliable.

Update: I purchased a 308 non wifi inkbird and installed. Set the parameters and plugged her in. Well, the compressor would click on and off real quick and then after a few seconds start again. I figured I could live with it as long as it kept my beer cold. Later that evening the high temp alarm sounded and I unplugged the kegerator and then plugged it back in. That seemed to work for a while...until the high temp alarm went off at 3AM. LOL. The wife (and the dog) were not happy. This morning I took Apache's advice and decided to bypass the thermostat completely. I found an old thread from a few years ago where someone on the board had a similar issue with his Marvel. I undid the back panel and pulled and then wired the black wire and red wires going into the thermostat controller together. It's been running and behaving well so far today. I hope it continues. I like a 35 dollar fix! Thanks.

PH

Back