Injuries sustained while brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
I haven't seen this thread anywhere yet so figured I would start it.

What injuries have you sustained while brewing? I'll start:

backed into turkey fryer frame while at full boil and burned the crap out of my calf

8 broken hydrometers, but no real injuries to myself(other than the brain cell loss from drinking while brewing)

So far, no injuries; just sweating my balls off while brewing, lol. Hopefully I don't have to reply back to this thread and change my statement, lol.

I always eye my glass carboys with a fearful reverence. They're the ideal fermenter, but they can bite you real bad if you're not careful.

Worst I've done is slash my hand on the hose clamp on my IC while stirring it around in the kettle. I've been lucky.

Do mental injuries count. I have lots of those...... My last brewday on Tuesday was not so spectacular. My only trusty thermometer broke, stuck sparge, water at the perfect temp and volume spilled everywhere. Long story short it sucked big so I'm planning to do another one shortly to jump back up on the horse.

Mild second degree burn to the forearm last weekend. Wasn't paying attention and touched the keggle while it was hot. Luckily, just a two-inch by quarter-inch red mark and one small blister. Didn't hurt much.

Blisters on my thumbs from opening 14 20 packs of germany .5 liter swing tops bottle for cleaning. If there are any brewers here that are service members, the class 6 will sell you 20 packs for the cost of the deposit. I asked while I was there and they said that I own them cause I paid the deposit. So I bought 14 cases, washed em, got blisters and shipped them home with house hold goods. Think it cost me like 5-8 bucks. Sorry for the ramble lol

Blisters on my thumbs from opening 14 20 packs of germany .5 liter swing tops bottle for cleaning. If there are any brewers here that are service members, the class 6 will sell you 20 packs for the cost of the deposit. I asked while I was there and they said that I own them cause I paid the deposit. So I bought 14 cases, washed em, got blisters and shipped them home with house hold goods. Think it cost me like 5-8 bucks. Sorry for the ramble lol

I just finished 6 years in the Navy, but I have no idea what you mean by "class 6":confused:

No specific injuries worth mentioning, but I am always sore all over after a brew day...

I agree with the above. My worst injuries so far have been from hot water and lifting 7 gallons of water all day. Maybe if I throw my back out crazy bad I can talk my wife into letting me build a nice system with pumps. I'm gonna go down in the basement and lift some heavy crap right now.

I got some nasty second degree burns with plenty of blister on my left foot. I have to carry my kettle through the house and out front to use the hose for my IC. Slipped and lost maybe half gallon onto my unprotected foot.

I just finished 6 years in the Navy, but I have no idea what you mean by "class 6":confused:

No specific injuries worth mentioning, but I am always sore all over after a brew day...

The class 6 is the where you go to get most of your alcohol on base. The px/bx doesn't really carry that stuff and the commissary doesn't have much either.

I scalded my foot when the handle broke off a s/s 5 gallon pot full of 185 degree sparge water. About a 1/3 of the water landed on my foot.

After that event I bought a march pump and quick disconnects.

I always seem to cut my fingers on the threads of the pipe nipples while assembling my fittings. You think I would learn not to do that.

Burnt my hand once when I was sanitizing my bottles in the oven. Next time I'll leave them in the bottling bucket with some iodophor.

I got some nasty second degree burns with plenty of blister on my left foot. I have to carry my kettle through the house and out front to use the hose for my IC. Slipped and lost maybe half gallon onto my unprotected foot.

I've always been paranoid of brewing barefoot but so far haven't cared enough to put shoes on

I'm one of those Great White Carboy victims lol. No jugular slashing glass, but damn, those things shatter like none other...I fell while dropping it, then tried to stand up and stepped on shards putting a nice sized gash in the bottom of my foot. Then I cut my hands up pretty nicely while cleaning up 5 gallons of beer and broken glass...my kitchen still smells like beer, this was over two weeks ago.

I always eye my glass carboys with a fearful reverence. They're the ideal fermenter, but they can bite you real bad if you're not careful.

you described SWMBO to a tee

Worst I've done is slash my hand on the hose clamp on my IC while stirring it around in the kettle. I've been lucky.

Just some minor cuts ,contusions a broken toe some burns ....

I scalded my foot when the handle broke off a s/s 5 gallon pot full of 185 degree sparge water. About a 1/3 of the water landed on my foot.

After that event I bought a march pump and quick disconnects.

I spilled a bunch of strike water on my feet trying to pour it into the MLT, so I feel your pain.

Put my back out for a month lifting full carboys and boxes of full bottles. Made me put off brewing and lead to a dry spell in the pipeline.

A minor burn on a finger from stupidly almost moving my turkey fryer stand by the leg, after a flame had been burning on the metal for an hour.

I was lucky but a brewbuddy of mine got a really nast burn on his whole hand by doing the same thing, only managing to grip the leg of his before the flesh started cooking.

Stuck my hands in a 155 degree mashtun to fix the braid, and my hands looked like lobster claws for a few hours.

I slipped while trying to dump sparge water into the MLT and of course, instead of the water going forward, it fell back on to me with my face taking most of the 180 degree wrath. Adding insult to injury, when I fell to the ground ravaging like a loon from the pain, I hit my fryer stand (still hot I mind you) with my arm and peeled back a nice sliver of skin.

PS. The ER doctor liked homebrew though!! :mug:

PPS. After the trip to the ER, I came back home and finished the batch and Burnt Face IPA was born! :rockin:

I slipped while trying to dump sparge water into the MLT and of course, instead of the water going forward, it fell back on to me with my face taking most of the 180 degree wrath. Adding insult to injury, when I fell to the ground ravaging like a loon from the pain, I hit my fryer stand (still hot I mind you) with my arm and peeled back a nice sliver of skin.

PPS. After the trip to the ER, I came back home and finished the batch and Burnt Face IPA was born! :rockin:

Good lord I think we have a winner. Hopefully you had some cold beer at home to numb some of the pain and relieve some of the post traumatic stress disorder.

I always seem to cut my fingers on the threads of the pipe nipples while assembling my fittings. You think I would learn not to do that.

YUP! I dropped the end of a threaded 1/2" pipe literally no more than 3" onto the top of my thumb. It filet it open like a hot knife through butter. About 10 mins later my pipe wrench slipped and took 2 fingernails with it. Good times. Can't wait to brew! :cross:

Wow....... just wow

I switched to all-grain brewing in the morning so I don't drink while I brew which is a good thing. While doing extract at night I had a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout (8.3%) amongst other beers and actually fell up my stairs. Not sure how I did that.

I switched to all-grain brewing in the morning so I don't drink while I brew which is a good thing. While doing extract at night I had a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout (8.3%) amongst other beers and actually fell up my stairs. Not sure how I did that.

That's better than falling down the stairs I guess. I too brew in the morning and I typically don't start cracking into the beer until my mash is done and I'm boiling. Gives me something to work toward and keeps me from getting to the point where I forget to sanitize my fermenter.

I work with metals all day and know the conductive properties of said metals, but dumba** can happen to anybody. After the IC had been in the boil for about 10 min, and watching the steam make the hose soft and squishy, I decided to move it around and seared my thumb and first finger. I guess my mind thought it's above the hot wort 6" or so, so it won't be that hot.

Other than the usual burnt fingers and hot wort splashes the only injury I have suffered is a red wasp sting.
I had just turned off the chiller hose and was walking back to the brew area when the little bastard jumped out of nowhere and got me on the left little finger.
By the time I'd aerated the wort and pitched the yeast my hand was swollen and stiff. It was unusable for two days.
Red Wasp IPA tastes great though. :mug:

Raugatis your avatar looks like Jack of the Wood's Green Man ale logo from an awesome brewpub in Asheville, looks great!

face.gif

Back