[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would tend to agree that getting flow meters working on the tablet would be tough. Theoretically you could connect to the RPI from the android tablet via Bluetooth like here http://blog.davidvassallo.me/2014/05/11/android-linux-raspberry-pi-bluetooth-communication/. This isn't something that I will be looking into though as the expense of the flow meters just isn't worth it for me. I am going to create an interface on the tablet so you could manually select the amount poured and keep track that way. It wont be perfect but from what I've gathered, neither are the flow meters. I'm thinking something like you tap on the keg column and get a popup box showing different size glasses that you could click on to add to the pours table.

The alamode is just an arduino built to fit right on top of the pi. Using an arduino over usb would be fine. But you'll need a powered hub on the end of your otg cable. The trick is figuring out the device names and getting all the config files setup right. But if venture to say that after about a week or so of logging you may start to see memory errors.

[...]It wont be perfect but from what I've gathered, neither are the flow meters. [...]

The SF800 meters on a well tuned setup are amazingly accurate. Keg kicks are consistently within the margin of initial fill error (sometimes I fill a couple of pints more than other times).

The specs on the Adafruit meters are way sloppier, so I wouldn't expect them to track anywhere near as tightly, but perhaps close enough...

Cheers!

I've had issues keeping my android running a web server reliably. But then again my tablet was .99¢

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, no. The flowmeters will not currently work with this setup on a tablet (unless the tablet is connected to an arduino via USB connection.

The issue comes in that the code is running on the rPi to constantly watch for input on the serial connection from the alamode and flowmeters. That connection wouldn't be there with the tablet.

One of the users in the V2 thread had pints with meters working with an arduino over a serial rf connection 2401 or some such.

Brew Pi is being used over bluetooth serial, it should be just a matter of editing the serial connection parameters in Rpints on the tablet.

Edit: complete confusability

The SF800 meters on a well tuned setup are amazingly accurate. Keg kicks are consistently within the margin of initial fill error (sometimes I fill a couple of pints more than other times).

The specs on the Adafruit meters are way sloppier, so I wouldn't expect them to track anywhere near as tightly, but perhaps close enough...

Cheers!

I bought these flow meters at $9.50 each. Supposed to be 3% accurate. I've got them hooked up and sensing fine. Does anyone remember where to adjust pulse/ounce setting in the software? I remember seeing it, but darn I can't find it again. I'm going to set up a test and see how they do. I also bought a couple Swissflo meters to test them against, however the haven't come in yet. I ordered the G1/4 meters at the same time and they have been in a week. REALLY, give me +- a pint on kicking a keg and I'm a happy camper. I'll have that much error with uber sensitive meters since I'm just guessing the starting quantities in my cornies anyway. What would I do differently if OH NO I only have 18 ounces left vs 2 oz left? I just want to know what to brew next and I just guess with my 8 taps now.

Edit: got the pulse/gallon settings. You would have to go into /var/www/includes/pours.php and modify line 41: $amount = $PULSE_COUNT / 21120;

Not sure if anyone else has done this and I'm not going to read through 159 pages to find out. I did some initial research about running Raspberry Pints on my android tablet which lead me to the tutorial on the pints website explaining how to setup a web server on a local PC and then have the tablet connect to that server to access Raspberry Pints. That's a perfectly acceptable method but I wanted to take it one step further. I installed a free app from the Play store (Palapa Web Server) that actually installs a web server+php+mysql on the android device directly. From there I installed Raspberry Pints directly on the tablet and voila! Raspberry Pints on my 7" $100 Galaxy Tab 2. Here are a couple of pics showing it running. If there is some interest I could do a howto/writeup.

20150329_000954-65371.jpg

20150329_001009-65372.jpg

Next up I plan to add some simple touch controls so that you could tap on a beer and then select a pour amount (preset for 5oz, 12oz, 16oz, 20oz, 64oz) as an alternative to flow meters for tracking..

Any more info on this. Id like to give thus a try but palapa isn't very user friendly and I can't figure out how to change passwords or really any usable settings and the phpadmin it comes with doesn't even work.

Im not sure if anybody could help me but for some reason the color on the glasses under "gravity" goes outside the line of the glass and I would like to get it fixed.

Thanks in advance for your help

rasp.jpg

Last edited:
just added it
There's not much support on this thread anymore. I've been going nuts messing with the two column HTML for horizontal viewing. I finally figured it out, but having never messed with HTML before it seems user hostile.

I know where in the index file this occurs, did you muck around with the index file much? You could just copy and paste the section back in from a 'clean' version if so.

Edit: I was looking at that section since it's in my plans to modify it. I'm not a fan of the SRM color that is used. I plan to replace the SRM color glass with an actual png image of my beer taken with my cell camera.

BTW, those inexpensive flow meters are working great for me. I have 3 of the high dollar SwissFlo meters new in packaging with the barbs, if anyone want's a decent deal on them PM me.

Well it appears I broke my pi. I can get the power light lit on it but nothing out to the display. And all I did was leave it unplugged for about 5 months. Going to tinker with it this week and see if I can resurrect it. And to think I had it working great too.

Well it appears I broke my pi. I can get the power light lit on it but nothing out to the display. And all I did was leave it unplugged for about 5 months. Going to tinker with it this week and see if I can resurrect it. And to think I had it working great too.

If it's dead I have an extra B model I'd be happy to send to you. Funny story, I thought I ordered the Pi 2, but ended up with 2 Pi due to some shady wording on the advertisement. Still seems to be working great for me.

If it's dead I have an extra B model I'd be happy to send to you. Funny story, I thought I ordered the Pi 2, but ended up with 2 Pi due to some shady wording on the advertisement. Still seems to be working great for me.
Cool, will let you know. I hate shady advertisements. And thanks!

I had a dead pi a few months ago that I was able to resurrect. Power light would come on but the activity light never once even attempted to light up. After switching out the power supply and the rgb2 regulator, it was back up and running. The regulator cost me 3 or 4 bucks from eBay and took about 15 minutes to do. All it involves is removing the old one and soldering three female DuPont jumpers to the pi in the stock regulator's location, then plugging in the new regulator to the jumpers. If you're interested I'll send you a link

Because we all moved on to the other, newer thread.

PKU...

Cheers!

Thank you for your work on the temperature monitoring. I'm adding it to my RPints as well. I've seen your comments on pins, hopefully 13 will work since I'm not using it as a flow monitor indicator and I need 8 for the taps. If I can did one more up, the motion sensor will go on as well.

Cheers!

Im not sure if anybody could help me but for some reason the color on the glasses under "gravity" goes outside the line of the glass and I would like to get it fixed.

Couldn't see the pic in the Android app.

Anyway, never seen that before. There's a mask file (\var\www\img\srm) that fits the pint outline file (in the same folder); the pint color is set from indexing into the Beers table in the database to grab the SRM value, and presumably the mask keeps that pint color from bleeding around the outline (leaving the background).

Perhaps the mask file is missing? Here's what in that folder:

pint-mask.png
pint-mask-4k.png
pint-stroke.png
pint-stroke-4k.png

Cheers!

Are you viewing this from your desktop via IE? I get that problem with IE, but Chrome draws it correctly.

Huh - lookie there, IE does indeed bork the SRM display.
And so does Firefox.

Neither one of them handles the image mask correctly, I guess.

Chrome gets it right. That's all I use these days on all my systems and 'Droids - I've never even tried IE or FF on my own web sites before right now ;)

Cheers!

Thank you for the suggestion. the 4 files were in there and I even extracted all 4 new ones from the downloaded zip file and it still did not fix it

Hi All,

First I am new to messing around with my Raspberry Pi, currently I am using Raspberry Pints, I have also added the PIR motion sensor to wake the screen when motion is detected. All is working great however I wanted to also integrate an additional function to trigger an SSR to turn on the fridge lights when the same motion is detected, I have my SSR wired into GPIO24 (Pin18 & Pin20 for Ground) and I am having a hard time manipulating the code to get the SSR to also switch when motion is detected.

Any and all help is much appreciated, below is my current code running for the screen wake.

#!/usr/bin/env python

import os
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
import time

cmd = 'xscreensaver-command -deactivate'

GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)
PIR_PIN=7
GPIO.setup(PIR_PIN, GPIO.IN)

def MOTION(PIR_PIN):
os.system(cmd)
time.sleep(1)

time.sleep(2)

try:
GPIO.add_event_detect(PIR_PIN, GPIO.RISING, callback=MOTION)
while 1:
time.sleep(100)

except KeyboardInterrupt:
GPIO.cleanup()

Also a pic of my beer fridge.

7VwXVSc.jpg

Hi All,

First I am new to messing around with my Raspberry Pi, currently I am using Raspberry Pints, I have also added the PIR motion sensor to wake the screen when motion is detected. All is working great however I wanted to also integrate an additional function to trigger an SSR to turn on the fridge lights when the same motion is detected, I have my SSR wired into GPIO24 (Pin18 & Pin20 for Ground) and I am having a hard time manipulating the code to get the SSR to also switch when motion is detected.

Any and all help is much appreciated, below is my current code running for the screen wake.

What makes this interesting is it's trivial to have the PIR script turn on the SSR for your lights; turning it off, otoh, could get complicated.

This python script wakes up xscreensaver and turns on an LED on my system panel when the PIR triggers; it then plays an mp3 file; then it turns off the LED, and goes back to waiting for the next trigger. The PIR sensor re-trigger-block adjustment pot is set to force it to wait around five minutes before it will re-trigger. That keeps the tune from repeating at an annoying frequency. Xscreensaver is set to turn off the display after a little more than five minutes, so if someone's hanging around the keezer the display won't blank.

I've inserted commands to define your pin 24 as an output, then turn on and off that pin when the PIR triggers. And to avoid having to actually think about how to do this smarter, I simply hard-coded a 60 second delay between the On and Off states. You can play with that value to find something that works for you (and remove the two lines regarding the audio part).

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python

import os
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
import time
GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)

cmd = 'xscreensaver-command -deactivate'
playsound = 'mpg321 /home/pi/tada.mp3'

PIR_PIN = 7
STATUS_PIN = 8
LIGHT_CTL_PIN = 24
GPIO.setup(PIR_PIN, GPIO.IN)
GPIO.setup(STATUS_PIN, GPIO.OUT)
GPIO.setup(LIGHT_CTL_PIN, GPIO.OUT)

def MOTION(PIR_PIN):
	os.system(cmd)
	GPIO.output(STATUS_PIN,True)
	GPIO.output(LIGHT_CTL_PIN,True)
	os.system(playsound)
	time.sleep(60)
	GPIO.output(LIGHT_CTL_PIN,False)
	GPIO.output(STATUS_PIN,False)

try:
	GPIO.add_event_detect(PIR_PIN, GPIO.RISING, callback=MOTION)
	while 1:
		time.sleep(100)

except KeyboardInterrupt:
	GPIO.cleanup()

GPIO.cleanup()

The smarter way would be to track xscreensaver's state, so the lights would switch on and off with the tap list display. And I think that would want to be managed by a separate python script instead of the pir_run file. Theoretically the separate file would watch xscreensaver and just follow along.

See the discussion of the -watch command in the xscreensaver-command manual. I believe a script could avail itself of this to track the state of the tap list console and switch your SSR on and off.

If you get it to work please post your code!

Cheers!

Hi All,

Also a pic of my beer fridge.

7VwXVSc.jpg

You could just go to lowes/home depot and get a motion sensor and wire it in line with the fridge lights.

Got the SSR controlling the lights with a timer, working on a -watch command to trigger based on the xscreensaver state, i'll post back as i get more success.

Thanks for all the help y'all

Thank you again for your awesome offer. Luckily I had a few minutes to dork around with mine tonight and when I removed the alamode and powered up the pi it came on with no issue. Put the alamode back and it worked again. Now I gotta get the meters back up and I'm golden. I think I will take this opportunity to do a fresh install.
Thanks again for the offer though.

How complicated is it to get this up and running on an arduino instead of the alamode

Daytripper or anyone really....

I followed your PIR install, I can get the test to detect motion, I can force the script to run,, and get it to work properly. However, when I restart, it will not work(without manually starting the script). I have this in my autostart folder.

@lxpanel --profile LXDE
@pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE
@xscreensaver -no-splash
sudo python pir_run.py

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Somewhere along the last year LXDE acquired an(other) autostart file that is associated with the user. My guess is you put the command in the generic autostart file which apparently no longer executes when the desktop loads. There have been a few references in one or the other R'Pints threads where others ran into the exact same issue.

As my installations pre-date this change I can't even tell you where the new file is but it shouldn't be hard to find...

Cheers!

Somewhere along the last year LXDE acquired an(other) autostart file that is associated with the user. My guess is you put the command in the generic autostart file which apparently no longer executes when the desktop loads. There have been a few references in one or the other R'Pints threads where others ran into the exact same issue.

As my installations pre-date this change I can't even tell you where the new file is but it shouldn't be hard to find...

Cheers!

Same folder, if you use the default it is LXDE-Pi

instead of reading through 164 pages does any one have instructions on installing the OS on a iMac platform? thanks amazon just delivered all the pieces for my build :mug:

Back