Initial IPad question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SWMBO just got an IPad and the instructions are horrible. HOw long do you have to charge it initially before you use it?

Just plug it in and start using it. It will continue to charge "in the background".

Yeah, you can use it while it is plugged in.

As far as how long it takes to charge....I want to say it's in the 3-4 hour range to go from 0 to 100%, but I've only done that maybe once or twice ever when I didn't just plug it in overnight. The battery lasts a pretty long time, at least for the tasks I use it for, so I only end up plugging it in maybe once a week or so.

Should have some charge, but plugging it into the wall charger for 30 min should be plenty.

Also be sure you hit and hold the power button (the one on top near the camera lens) for a good second or two - if I just tap mine it won't always power back on.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

you have to connect it to a PC and synch I tunes before you can use it?

When you buy an iPad, it is useless until you connect it to a PC to "activate" it. If you bought it at the Apple store, they may have done this for you.

This was a huge annoyance for me when we bought one for work. I didn't want iTunes on my computer because I was never going to use it for anything. But, in order to use your iPad for the first time, it has to be linked to an email address and this can only be done by connecting it to a computer with iTunes on it.

First paragraph here says it all:Walkthrough: Initial iPad Setup — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

Maybe this wasn't the case for the OP, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Also, I know the IT community complained about this quite a bit (naturally) so it may have changed with the iPad 2. I didn't think of that before posting.

Hate iPads, but make sure the battery does not have a specific initial charge. Many batteries aren't supposed to be used at all until a specific charge cycle has been completed.

That said, I rarely bother to look.

Back