inherent problem with high gravity wheat beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I am drinking an ommegang Whitte right now and the question came to me, why do so few breweries/people attempt high grav wheats? Is it because it is an inherent problem with the wheat and needing a low FG to get that crisp dryness? Or is it the higher gravity beers most people think are not "quaffable" enough for a summer brew? I know Saisons can get fairly high in alcohol and still maintain that "summer brew" status, but I just wanted to know some opinions here. Why would you suspect there are not as many high gravity wheat beers in comparison to other styles?

Also, if it is a gravity issue, would it be simple enough to just start with a lower gravity (say, 1.060) and, (especially if you like honey) to just add honey or even table sugar to the primary till you reach the desired gravity?

Looking forward to your comments and opinions.
Kyle

I've never met a weizenbock I didn't like, so I would hardly say there's something inherently problematic about them!

I don't know exactly how much wheat they have, but the Lagunitas Sumpin' beers are quite light in body and they're all malt. On the opposite end, Mad River Rorschach One wheatwine pours like syrup and is all the better for it.

My guess would be the hassles of dealing with stuck mashes. If you think it is no fun as a home brewer imagine what happens for a commercial brewery...

GT

I did an american wheat that ended up just over 6.0%ABV. The only down (up) side was I got drunk sooner. Taste was great, especially after an extra week then normal.

I did a split batch (I split a 10 gallon batch and used Wyeast Bavarian Wheat Yeast for 1 batch and WL California Ale V for the other). Both were at 6.5% ABV. Too much alcohol, IMO. These wheat beers are supposed to be light and session type of beers. Stick with the style guidelines on this one. Don't get me wrong, they were good, but when it's hotter than hell outside you want something a little lighter.

Look for Schneider Brooklyner Hopfen over 8% Hefeweizen. Or Schneider Aventinus 8% Weizenbock. One of our breweries in NJ made a pale wheat w/ NW hops that was close to 7% (Flying Fish Exit 11). It is by far the best wheat beer i've ever had.

Frank99 said:
These wheat beers are supposed to be light and session type of beers. Stick with the style guidelines on this one. Don't get me wrong, they were good, but when it's hotter than hell outside you want something a little lighter.

One man's "too much" is another man's....

I like the complexity and body of wheat wines. We brewed a wheat wine that ended up around 9.8% and is both very simple and pretty delicious. It's not a quaffable beer by any means, but brewing in such a style (or any style) shouldn't be discouraged imo.

Back