ingredients regarding recipe questions....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjaytuner

Reaction score
Im new to all grain brewing, theres a particular recipe i want to do for my first time all-grain...

when a recipe calls for a specific grain or hops lets say
pale malt, maris otter and has a grain %66.67

what does this gain % mean exactly?? does it have to be exactly this percentage, looking online etc, can't find it at that exact percentage, and am confused..

thanks for the help im new to this....

I think that's the % of all grains combined. If it tells you the weight and the batch size matches what you 'll be brewing, you don't have to worry about the %

Actually it means that that particular grain takes up that percentage of the total grain bill. So.....if Maris Otter is listed at 66% it means that it is 66% of the total 100% grain bill. Like, for example if it is recommended that a crystal malt is to 5% of the grain bill then that's the amount you calculate.

When brewers begin recipe creation we assume a 100% grain bill. From there we will simply break down the ingredients as follow as example:
80% Base malt
20% Specialty grains ( could be 5% grain A, 5% grain B 3% Grain C, etc....)

From there we will then calculate estimated extraction to calculate the estimated OG and go from there. Software is a big help with all the math and allows you to calculate by weight or percentage.

Hope that helps! BTW, for simplicity sake, there is no reason why you cannot round up or down to get whole numbers:)

Back