Ingredients Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've got some cherries and mulberries from my orchard. I want to make a wine combining them. I have put together a quick rough draft of my recipe idea and I want your input. I have kind of combined several recipes and averaged them. Below are just the ingredients, not the process. I think we can all pretty much agree on the same process more or less. No back sweetening.

Per 1 Gallon:

4lbs Cherries
4lbs Mulberries
2lbs Sugar
5oz Rasins
1/4can Frozen grape juice concentrate
1/4 Banana
1tsp Acid blend
3/4tsp Pectic Enzyme
1tsp Yeast nutrient
1pkg Dry champagne yeast

Thoughts??

What kind of cherries?

My knee-jerk reaction is that it seems a bit much fruit for one gallon. I usually average 6# per gallon, if using raisins or a fruit juice for body. 8# without any helper. But that's just me.

I also usually use more pectic enzyme, 1tsp per 3.5# of fruit up to 2tsp per gallon. Luc has a write up on pectic enzyme on his blog. It's worth a read. I'm a rookie though.

If your not back sweetening I would change the yeast to Lalvin 71b-1112. Mulberries are high in malic acid and 71b metabolizes a large portion or malic acid which will round out this wine to be not nearly as tart. Should help to take a couple months off the time it would take this to mature. And just me but if adding all that I probably would skip the raisins. There should be plenty of body with that amount of berries along with the concentrate and banana.

I would also add sugar to a target OG. Maybe it will be 2#, maybe not. I usually shoot for about 1.085 - 1.115 depending on the anticipated flavor profile. With bing cherry and mulberry, I would go to about 1.100 or so. Rainer, maybe a little less. YMMV.

This is all perfect! Exactly what I wanted! I'll make some adjustments and just see how it goes. I'll be doing about 2 gallons at a time for now. Thanks guys!

I would really juice the fruit first, see if i could eliminate some of the water,
and as stonearcher said..use more pectin enzyme, i would increase the banana to 1 whole one,,,if your yeast east the yeast nutrient up, it will feed on the banana.
cherry mulberry sounds really good

Back