Ingredient kits for 2.5 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooty

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any ingredient kits for 2.5 gallon batches? (besides Mr. Beer) I searched but didn't find anything. Thanks

I see you are from Atlanta and you can buy some cans of malt and steeping grains from here.

http://www.winecraftatl.com/

I split a can of Coopers Hopped malt with a half can of unhoped Briess malt with a few steeping grains and make some taty beer in my Mr Beer Kegs.

I see you are from Atlanta and you can buy some cans of malt and steeping grains from here.

http://www.winecraftatl.com/

I split a can of Coopers Hopped malt with a half can of unhoped Briess malt with a few steeping grains and make some taty beer in my Mr Beer Kegs.

I stopped by WineCraft the other day and they were closed even though they should have been open according to their hours. I guess they were out to lunch. You say you split a can of Coopers? What do you do with the other half and how long will it last until you need to use it?

I think most kits are designed for 5 gallon batches. You could take a recipe and cut it by half (for the most part) and get the necessary ingredients.

I'm in the same boat, I just ordered the 5-gal grain bill and split it in half at home. I put half away in a bag for next time. I ordered LME in a scaled-down amount, but if the amount doesn't work out, convert it to DME and measure it out on a kitchen scale. It's really not that big a deal.

I think you're better off just using any of the many recipes on this site or others using DME (assuming you are an extract brewer), and cutting the portions in half, than trying to split the ingredients in a prefab kit. It's just really hard to split one of those bags of LME in half in my experience.

The 3.75# can of Coopers I pour half of the can in a sterilized plastic container with a lid and put it in the freezer. The can of Briess has a screw on top and I put half in the brew pot and put that can in the refrigerator. I have waited a few weeks between batches and never have had a problem.

I think most kits are designed for 5 gallon batches. You could take a recipe and cut it by half (for the most part) and get the necessary ingredients.

I do nothing but 2.5 gallon batches. I use a digital scale to do the division of ingredients, even the priming sugar. Works just fine.

Back