Ingesting fresh pitched yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I homebrewed a few different carboys of cider. I had gotten confused because I was taking samples and gravity readings of the different musts And I drank a sample out of the carboy where I had just pitched a full packet of yeast...
I have already had a high yeast production in my system since the time of being very young I would get jock itch and athletes foot quite often in high school. And the doctors told me it was just because I have a lot of yeast in my system.
I felt very ill and have Headaches a few hours after I did this and felt this way for a full two or three days.
I feel there is a strong correlation to this and I'm wondering if ingesting fresh pitched yeast can make you a little sick? Certainly this can't be good for you?

After this happened I cut out a lot of sugar and bread products from my diet and I seems to feel better but I want to know what you guys think?
I know that yeast in your body and the yeast in brew are two very different strains of yeast families but I still think that they have to have some kind of correlation...

I don't doubt that any food or microorganism can make people feel differently. My wife cannot stomach cilantro as it physically makes her ill, while I use like lettuce on some dishes. I think the same can be true for yeast. I could suggest testing your theory however there's not much fun in that :D (I have my own stomach-aversion to avocado :( )

120px-G.O.A.T_07.jpg

I'm wondering if ingesting fresh pitched yeast can make you a little sick? Certainly this can't be good for you?

Not sure about the first part, I suppose everyone's body reacts differently. Sometimes brewers get gas from having new yeast in their gut, but not really what you described. I frequently ingest fresh yeast and have never experienced what you've described. Honestly, I would bet it was something else.

As for the second part, yeast is actually extremely nutritious. It frequently makes those "superfood" lists.

TyTanium said:
Not sure about the first part, I suppose everyone's body reacts differently. Sometimes brewers get gas from having new yeast in their gut, but not really what you described. I frequently ingest fresh yeast and have never experienced what you've described. Honestly, I would bet it was something else.

As for the second part, yeast is actually extremely nutritious. It frequently makes those "superfood" lists.

Interesting, I wonder if this was just a coincidence and I was coming down with some sort of bug?

I was pretty sure that once yeast get in your stomache they die in the acid. If brewers yeast actually stayed alive in your system you would be dead really fast. It's probably a reaction to the dead yeast cells I would imagine.

I was pretty sure that once yeast get in your stomache they die in the acid. If brewers yeast actually stayed alive in your system you would be dead really fast. It's probably a reaction to the dead yeast cells I would imagine.

Not at all. What makes you think having living yeast in your gut would kill you? In fact, most (healthy) people have more bacteria in their gut than cells in their entire body. Most of what you ingest is killed by the stomach acid, but enough can easily survive to make it into your small intestine.

Anyone who has been on strong antibiotics for a persistent or dangerous infection can probably tell you about the effects of having all your gut bacteria killed. It's not very pleasant, and takes a while to get over it.

uh bacteria and yeast are a bit different as yeast are a fungus...

I was under this impression because beer yeast fermenting inside your body doesn't seem like it would be a good thing... I thought i heard about this at a homebrew club meeting too but again I am just speculating and I dunno for sure... I was curious which is why I wanted some feedback on my comment.

I'm sorry, but you will die from this experience. There is no hope. I hope you do a better job at life when you return as a frog.

/sarcasm

Things ferment in your gut constantly from bacteria and wild yeast. The only problem is if the byproduct you can not metabolise or evacuate. I would chalk the reaction in the op to psychosomatic reaction. Either that or it was a reaction to something else.

As for the yeast in your system causing you problems I remember reading somewhere that they differ from brewers yeast.

With the experience of bad jock itch I would simply recommend you not dip your Wang in your fermenter. It wouldn't hurt you but I think it crosses the line on pouring yourself into your brewing.

tre9er said:
I'm sorry, but you will die from this experience. There is no hope. I hope you do a better job at life when you return as a frog.

/sarcasm

This is a serious threat.... Try leaving the dorky jokes for the other ones.
A little joking is cool but making fun of people is not.

cluckk said:
With the experience of bad jock itch I would simply recommend you not dip your Wang in your fermenter. It wouldn't hurt you but I think it crosses the line on pouring yourself into your brewing.

Finally some good humor...

P.s. I only dip it in there after primary fermentation is finished, And it's only to stir things around :)

This is a serious threat.... Try leaving the dorky jokes for the other ones.
A little joking is cool but making fun of people is not.

I added the sarcasm to it, c'mon. Maybe our sense of humors aren't quite the same, but it clearly wasn't a threat. And I wasn't making fun of you, just being dry.

tre9er said:
I added the sarcasm to it, c'mon. Maybe our sense of humors aren't quite the same, but it clearly wasn't a threat. And I wasn't making fun of you, just being dry.

No prob, guess I'm being a little sensitive...
I got my finger stuck in my bunghole... Lol

But, ya... It's all good :)

Science nazi reporting for duty. Correlation is to show a connection between a two data sets. If you did this a hundred times and got sick 37 times that would be correlation.

BobTheAverage said:
Science nazi reporting for duty. Correlation is to show a connection between a two data sets. If you did this a hundred times and got sick 37 times that would be correlation.

Dictionary Nazi trumps Science Nazi!!!
Main Entry: cor·re·la·tion
Pronunciation: \ˌkȯr-ə-ˈlā-shən, ˌkär-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Medieval Latin correlation-, correlatio, from Latin com- + relation-, relatio relation
Date: 1561
1 : the state or relation of being correlated ; specifically : a relation existing between phenomena or things or between mathematical or statistical variables which tend to vary, be associated, or occur together in a way not expected on the basis of chance alone <the obviously high positive correlation between scholastic aptitude and college entrance &mdash; J. B. Conant> 2 : the act of correlating
&mdash; cor·re·la·tion·al \-shn&#601;l, -sh&#601;-n&#601;l\ adjective

Makes no mention of multiple data sets...
Mathematical or statistical variables.... One time is a variable! BLAAAAW!

(Don't f**k with me, I play chess...lol)

BadgerBrigade said:
Finally some good humor...

P.s. I only dip it in there after primary fermentation is finished, And it's only to stir things around :)

I can see the exchange:
"Honey, what are you doing?"
"Um...oh...nothing."

Brewer's yeast cannot cause yeast infections of any kind!!!

Really. This comes up about once a month. You'll get gas, maybe some indigestion if you're unlucky. That's it. :)

RDWHAHB

(Don't f**k with me said:
O snap, chess. Kids are playing strategic games nowadays that take much more patience and planning than any game of chess. Back on topic though, it isn't unusual for some people to drink the yeast at the bottom of a bottle conditioned bottle, and it is very much alive, and worse case scenario, you'll be spraying the john, other than that, no way it could have done what you describe. Cheers bro, and waiting for smart arss comment about chess..... lol.....

'bottle conditioned bottle'.... I meant bottle conditioned beer :)

Walking_Target said:

Really. This comes up about once a month. You'll get gas, maybe some indigestion if you're unlucky. That's it. :)

RDWHAHB

Finally! Some news I want to hear.... Lol

Oh ya they are different strains of yeast... Candida albicans = yeast infection

saccharomyces = yummy beer poop

Walking_Target said:

RDWHAHB

Thanks for answering a question nobody is asking here.

Do you really think I was serious telling him to keep his stick out of his fermenter? If he is doing doing the nasty with his fermented hair in his beer is far more of a problem.

i thought stirring you beer with your stick that was passed down through the generations in your family was part of the German beer purity laws? :)

cluckk said:
Thanks for answering a question nobody is asking here.

Do you really think I was serious telling him to keep his stick out of his fermenter? If he is doing doing the nasty with his fermented hair in his beer is far more of a problem.

Actually Walking_Target answered the question beautifully!

P.s.
I'm not sticking anything in my brew that does not belong by the way!
. I have been told by one of the greatest Latvian cider makers ever that the rat heads actually add A tannic flavor you cannot get with anything else....!

Hopper5000 said:
i thought stirring you beer with your stick that was passed down through the generations in your family was part of the German beer purity laws? :)

That's "a stick passed through generations" not "a stick that causes generations." ;-)

uh bacteria and yeast are a bit different as yeast are a fungus...

I was under this impression because beer yeast fermenting inside your body doesn't seem like it would be a good thing... I thought i heard about this at a homebrew club meeting too but again I am just speculating and I dunno for sure... I was curious which is why I wanted some feedback on my comment.
It's mostly bacteria, but there's plenty of yeast in there too. (This is why people generally have a detectable level of alcohol in their blood all the time.) No one has exactly the same mixture of microbes in there, either. I'm guessing the proportion of yeast is higher for brewers. :)

About the only danger you have from ingesting brewer's or baker's yeast is smelly gas and some diarrhea. Or, as Palmer more delicately puts it, it has a "laxative effect."

Candida albicans = yeast infection

saccharomyces = yummy beer poop

That too. "Yeast infection" yeast are not even in the same genus as beer yeast.

Back