infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
I kinda thought this batch was gonna be infected when it went into the fermenter. the wort was left in the kettle, but covered for almost a full day before it was racked into the fermenter. there was a little bit of "white fuzz" noted on top after sitting overnight. It was racked onto a fresh yeast cake in the fermenter from the previous beer so fermentation started immediately.

This picture is after about 6 days in the fermenter.

Attachments

• IMG_7997.JPG
    IMG_7997.JPG
    462.9 KB · Views: 86
this is what was in the kettle after racking into the fermenter. I already knew this would likely turn out ugly...but since it was already brewed and I had just racked the fermenter into a keg...why not see what happens anyway?

Attachments

• IMG_7952.JPG
    IMG_7952.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 56
this is what the fermenter looked like on day one...

Attachments

• IMG_7951.JPG
    IMG_7951.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 55
Always harder to tell through pics, but those just look like yeast rafts to me.

Pictures can be tough, but I don't see anything bad that jumps out to me. Looks like a bunch of yeast rafts.

yeast rafts??? never heard of that. explain? do you have reference pictures?

this is a pilsner. lager yeast, bottom fermenting...

the second picture I posted was what really concerned me. this was the beer in the kettle after sitting a day...almost like dryer lint or spider nests(not the classic web)

It's just a term for clumps of flocculated yeast. They occur throughout the beer as it's fermenting, but obviously we typically only ever see them when they're floating on top.

well I'll just let it ride then...not like it's gonna cost me anymore money to finish it....

Let it fly. Looks fine to me; yes there's some bubbles but they look like co2 to me. It's when the bubbles look "slimy" that you need to be concerned. Even so, it might turn out fine. Yeast rafts are normal. I would also avoid taking the lid off to take pictures; the more you do that the more you're risking something getting in there that WILL infect it.

Back