Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a pale ale fermenting, am 1.5 weeks in and am getting a very slight, but strange musty peanut butter taste (best I can describe it). I had another beer from a few weeks ago (a NEIPA) have a similar taste, but much stronger, to the extent that I had to dump it. Here is a pic, I can't tell if some of the rafts are grey/blue or are just submerged. Anyone experience something similar? Or are my hops just getting old? Curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks Y'all

WsCb9ww

Last edited:
Screenshot from 2020-04-23 17-12-29.png

It might be the start of a pellicle, but I'm not sure.

Try the pellicle test described here:
https://***************.com/wiki/Pellicle

This is super helpful, thank you. Also, i'll be a PharmD come May so cheers fellow pharmacist
Very cool, congrats! I'm sure APPEs are kinda weird with isolation and whatnot.

The array of knowledge comes in really handy if you want to delve into brewing science.

Very cool, congrats! I'm sure APPEs are kinda weird with isolation and whatnot.

The array of knowledge comes in really handy if you want to delve into brewing science.

They were really weird, I was in ambulatory care March and went from taking INR's and seeing patients directly to staying at home and doing journal clubs and topic discussions every day. We didn't even have an April APPE lol. It is nice to be done though.

It has been fun so far, the biochemistry/microbiology is what got me into it in the first place. It's been a great ride, def would like to do it professionally one day. Gotta pay off those student loans first though!

Also, to anyone interested, I cold crashed the beer for kegging to see if I could salvage it, and the beer tasted so medicinal and gross I just tossed it. I have a couple ideas of what could have happened, I think the moral of the story is sanitize even when you don't think you need to.

Back