Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khall12

Reaction score
Haven’t brewed in several years. I am trying to make a NEIPA, and I notice some frothy/slimy/milk looking bubbles in the center. Is this just CO2 mixed with yeast/ haze? Airlock is still bubbling (brewed Saturday 7/14), the smell escaping the airlock is hop delicious. Just curious and probably anxious since it’s been awhile since I brewed.

Not a whole lot of krausen at the top either, sorry I can’t get a clear pic, the inner sides of the fermentasaurus have condensation on it. Is that expected as well? Or is that a sign it’s too warm? The thermometer on it shows 76

Thanks
IMG_0864.jpg
IMG_0865.jpg

looks to me like the fermentation went well, you have a krausen line about 1" above the beer and that to me indicates that it came and went and you missed it, now it is just ramping down and settling into a nice beer, package in two weeks, condition for two weeks and enjoy

Thanks all! Ive cleared two bottles of trub and then I’ve dry hopped twice now through the collection bottle at the bottom. Purged with CO2 each time. This seems to be coming together nicely.

I am going to be out of town for 10 days starting the 26th. That will be day 12 of ferment. Should I keg then or just let it sit for the 10 extra days and keg when I get home?

I am leaning towards the latter.

I would keg before you leave - don’t want it on the dry hops too long. Put the keg in the fridge at 15 PSI and it should be pretty carbed by the time you get home

76 is too warm, FYI. Won’t become infected as a result, but might not taste as good as if it was fermented at 66

You can leave it without risk of grassiness. That really doesn’t happen on this level.

I was actually planning on dumping the hops before I left and just allow more trub and possibly some hop particle to settle into the collection bottle as I was away.

So, I am back from vacation and the airlock is still bubbling once every 30-45 seconds or so. Is it possible it is still fermenting after 25 days? If I transfer to keg with that going on will there be issues?

Thanks all!

I had forgotten to take a hydrometer reading after brewing. But I did to a refractometer reading. I just took a sample from the collection bottle and I am getting about 4.68% abv. Tasted the sample and it’s delicious.

The airlock is active every 15 seconds at this point. So, I think it is still fermenting and will take another reading in a few days.

I had forgotten to take a hydrometer reading after brewing. But I did to a refractometer reading. I just took a sample from the collection bottle and I am getting about 4.68% abv. Tasted the sample and it’s delicious.

The airlock is active every 15 seconds at this point. So, I think it is still fermenting and will take another reading in a few days.

Beer only ferments for the first 3-4 days but the yeast produce a lot of CO2 which is dissolved into the beer. Later on, this dissolved CO2 will keep outgassing for weeks, making your airlock bubble. The beer isn't still fermenting, at least not from the yeast. Use your hydrometer.

Even if I didn’t aerate the wort? I really had a brain fart post boil and was just concerned about transferring from the kettle too much.

Thought maybe since I didn’t do that, the yeast may be slower.

Back