Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smuth10

Reaction score
I am assuming this is an infection. Should I just pitch it? It smells a little sour to me.

infection.jpg

Don't pitch it. Bottle it and let it age. There's nothing that can survive in beer that's harmful. That said, sometimes pediococus can make your beer ropy.

Interesting. I figured the infection would get worse in the keg and pretty much make it undrinkable, but I am all for giving it a try. I hate having to throw all of that $ and hard work out. Kills me...

Thank you!

I am assuming the bacteria continue to grow in the fridge? If so, I would think the taste will change over time depending on the strain I have. Just curious, never had an infected beer before.

If you bottle, be careful, infections can lead to bottle bombs which are dangerous... if you keg, be sure to monitor the pressure in the can. A corny isn't going to explode from the continued breakdown resulting from an infection, but it could well resulting in excessive foam. It probably won't be something you want to drink, but there are times when it works out in your favor. Worth a shot!

If you bottle, be careful, infections can lead to bottle bombs which are dangerous... if you keg, be sure to monitor the pressure in the can. A corny isn't going to explode from the continued breakdown resulting from an infection, but it could well resulting in excessive foam. It probably won't be something you want to drink, but there are times when it works out in your favor. Worth a shot!

Good to know, thank you! I will have to keep an eye on it. I just hate pitching beer if I don't have to, but the sample a snagged while transferring to the keg did not give me high hopes. :mad: Time will tell

Latest posts

Back