Infection Taking Hold??? HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim_Ale

Reaction score
Its been nearly a week since ive added my dry hops.

Im looking at the carboy now and there is a white powder creeping up the sides of the carboy on the indside.

And on the parts of the carboy where there are indentions ( it was made that way im sure others knwo what I mean ) there is a more concentrated bunch of this white lookng powder.

Is this normal or am I experiencing an onset of bacterial infection or wild yeasts?

Havent done anything I would think to introduce them to the batch.

Carboy wasnt opened until ABV was already at 8%.

Any thoughts. Sorry no pics but its just this white powdery looking stuff thats thin on the edges and more concentrated in the little parts of the carboy where it has indentions.

Yeah, if this is on the wet parts, i.e. underwater, you have nothing to worry about. It's yeast sediment. You mentioning it collecting on the carboy's indentations makes me pretty sure. I get it all the time.

Yeah, if this is on the wet parts, i.e. underwater, you have nothing to worry about. It's yeast sediment. You mentioning it collecting on the carboy's indentations makes me pretty sure. I get it all the time.

I'm inclined to think that this is what you are experiencing. Infections are actually pretty easy to identify once you've seen one:

IMG_5627.JPG

Red said what I was going to... I've seen the same before on my brews and was worried, because the glass carboy made it hard to tell what it really was (blurry and all) but then after further staring and squinting I realized it was just co2 bubbles. (really tiny ones collecting into a specific area)

Latest posts

Back