Infection question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooblue02

Reaction score
Just curious what you all think... first pure all grain (mash tun instead of biab) and was in the fermentation fridge at 67 degrees for 4 weeks untouched... thanks!
IMG_1887.JPG
IMG_1888.JPG
IMG_1889.JPG

This was a lush ipa clone

Looks like something may have got in there, but have seen weirder. How dose it taste?

Hard to say with carbonation but I went ahead and kegged it to see what happens. It didn’t taste terrible or anything so I’m hoping it was just residue from fermentation

Definitely looks like a pellicle to me. Doesn't mean it's ruined. At least you should be safe from bombs in the keg so I'd just see how it turns out.

I think I’m done with plastic buckets, last two batches have not tasted great and now the possibility of infections... SS brew buckets or spike SS fermenter in my future!

A LOT of us use plastic fermenters.

With any material you need good sanitation practices and good yeast health.

Avoid scrubbing plastic so as not to cause micro-abrasions.

Stainless won't prevent infection.
The introduction of unintended microbes isn't hampered by the vessels material.

It may be generally easier to clean stainless depending on construction. Some stainless vessels may actually be more difficult to sanitize than a simple plastic bucket.

Quick update, I was careful not to get any of the top layer into the keg and left more in the fermenter than I normally would. Actually tastes fine. Not award winning but no off flavors and no bad smells. Haven’t brewed again since this batch but I’m planning on a brew day tomorrow or Friday, def with one new bucket until I can decide on a SS fermenter.

Glad beer tastes OK. Would advise careful sanitation of all your other gear also. You'll probably like your SS fermentor once you get it, not only is it easier to clean, but makes it easier to keep the sediment out out of your bottles or kegs.

Back