Infection or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macbeer43

Reaction score
It's my 2.5 gallon white ipa..it been fermenting 2 weeks I dry hopped 5 days ago...it tastes decent...why are there greenish bubbles is it ferm./hops? First time I've seen that...I don't think I've had an infection b4...is that typical of t-58 yeast?
298162ee9b12a560586d0791c5a14d36.jpg

I bet it's the wheat that's helping make those bubbles as CO2 continues to evolve. The green is undoubtedly from the hops...

Cheers!

Ok thx..it tastes pretty good still needs more time... there's zest coriander also in there..first time I've seen it bubbling like that.

Idk, That looks a bit suspect to me?
Almost like Lacto pellicles starting to form.

But then again I'm only going off of what iv'e seen on the forum..

Looks like infection to me. Hard to tell for sure but I think I can see the cording (stringy appearance) between bubbles. Not all infections will contribute off-flavors.

Can I drink it or dump it? I still see I guess co2 still coming up to the top...

If that's a skin between all of those bubbles (and it sure looks like it), that's a pellicle of an infection.

If it tastes good drink it, rack off the bottom and try not to get any of the gunk on top. Then drink it fast before any of the bugs can kick in. IPAs are meant to be consumed fresh anyway, if you age it any potential bacteria or wild yeast has the potential to keep doing what they do.

If it tastes nasty then it's your call, some people are into sours (myself included), it could turn into something special in a year!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So I should bottle it? It seems like it still fermenting...or is it the infection? I see some floaties coming from bottom to the top. I tasted it today..tastes pretty good..I'll bottle tommorow..leave in the garage hopefully no explosions goin on..

0637c707ea99cc96eb66789b3d13cb4b.jpg

Yeah it looks like it is definitely infected. I would be surprised if it is still fermenting at this point but you should take a gravity sample over the next few days to be sure. If you bottle it, just drink it quickly!

Should I get rid of the mr beer keg? They are only $10 on there website..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Lol...ok bottled it up I used a 2L 3 1L pets and few 12oz glass...I thru maybe a few out to keep some of the nasties out...there's this thick brown layer where the beer line was like glued on there..soaking it in oxyclean, then ill bleach it...still tasted good..eh didn't get a gravity but seems ready.

Just my two cents on your situation.

I would take those glass bottles, wrap em in a trash bag and put em in a box or a plastic tub, last thing you want is bottle bombs hurting you or making a mess.

For all you know that infection wasn't done and had some more points to drop gravity wise.
Just be careful with those glass bottles. Wrap em and tuck em away.

And keep a eye on the plastic bottles. Squeeze em here and there, to make sure there not gonna burst.

That's just my two cents. Be safe.

Thx for the heads up..I put them in a box in my garage out harms way..I'll put the glass bottles in some plastic bags...

Is it ok carbing too warm? temps sored today like 100 degrees outside around 80ish maybe hotter in my garage...where my infection white ipa is...day 3 and 1L pets are already tightening up.

Is it ok carbing too warm? temps sored today like 100 degrees outside around 80ish maybe hotter in my garage...where my infection white ipa is...day 3 and 1L pets are already tightening up.

That temp will definitely make them carb up a lot quicker. I don't know if it will effect the flavor or not though.

Back