infection or Acetaldehyde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellijo89

Reaction score
So i brewed up a porter a while back and forgot about it in my closet. Today i decided to put it into a keg to chill and then carb. When i took my gravity reading it was a bit high but that's how it was after primary as well. The real surprise came when i tried a sample. green apples, tart green apples is best i can explain it. Actually sort of enjoyable but not at all what im going for. I did a little research and many places stated that Acetaldehyde can give off these traits. I tend to be a little low on the aeration and my fermentation temp was a bit high, got up to around 72ish at one point. My only concern is that during this time it was fermenting in secondary i also brewed up a flanders red with roselare blend which is fermenting on the far side of the closet. I just need to figure out now if this flavor is caused from Acetaldehyde or the bugs in the flanders? It has that initial aroma/flavor of an unfinished flanders/lambic, but i would expect if it were these bugs and with it short in its life it would not be as enjoyable of an aroma or flavor. sorry for the rambling but any ideas to confirm what is the cause?

thanks alot,
josh

If you are confident in your sanitation, I'd go with acetaldehyde. I doubt the flanders did anything to contaminate your batch. You nailed the traits of acetaldehyde in your post.

i am 95% confident in my sanitation, and it did seem like all the traits for acetaldehyde were their. That makes me feel better though because i was very careful with the flanders to keep it away from everything i used with the clean beers.

but yes i was hoping my flanders bugs were not the new ruler of my closet. If so i would have to start charging it rent, and maybe take its part of the deposit sense it wants to be the boss and all haha :ban:

Back