infection in the beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdubbs

Reaction score
I made an all grain amber 2 weeks ago. Fermented in the primary for 1 week, and the beer tasted great. Transferred it to the secondary for 1 more week and last night I went to keg it and it had a sour taste. I am always very careful of keeping everything very clean and sanitized. I ferment in 6.5 gallon plastic buckets. Could this be the cause of the problem? Thanks for the help.

We're going to need more details about your process before we can narrow down a problem. What was the recipe? Mash schedule? Fermentation temps?

The beer is still extremely young. I'd get in the habit of fermenting beers in primary for at least 4 weeks and then kegging straight from there unless you're adding things.

Give this one a few weeks in the keg and if it's still sour at that point, there could be issues. I think it's just because it's green.

Recipe

7.5 lbs Pale 2-Row
1.5 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs Caramel 60 L
1/4 lbs Caramel 120 L
1/4 Roasted Barley
1 oz fuggle
1 oz northern brewer
1 pkg safe ale yeast

single mash at 155 F for 1 hour.

primary 7 days 60 F
secondary 10 days 60 F