Infection in Bottle - Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffersonJ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, roughly 15 batches into my homebrew career I officially have my first infection. This is not a "is my beer infected" thread. I am absolutely sure that it's infected. I bottled an ESB at the end of April. Three weeks later I threw a homebrew party and got a lot of good comments on it from casual craft beer drinkers. At the time, I noticed a slight tartness to it, but just figured it was still a bit green. Carbonation was still good at that point. I hadn't drank it again until just yesterday and I had a gusher and the beer was sour. Also, gravity dropped from 1.018 at bottling to 1.012. Hoping it was isolated, I popped open three more bottles and they were all the same.

I'm pretty sure it got introduced at bottling time. This was a primary-only beer and it was seemingly flawless. My primary culprit is the valve on my bottling bucket. It's been a while since I've taken it out and thoroughly cleaned it, besides just running OxiClean and then StarSan through it.

I sanitize my bottles by running it through the steam cycle on my nearly new, mid-range dishwasher. I used to also spray StarSan into the bottles before filling, but I've been skipping that step lately. I just bottled another batch of beer two weeks ago and I haven't detected any signs of infection yet, but it took a while on the previous batch so I'll keep an eye out.

So what now?

I'm planning on replacing all of my siphon/bottling tubing. Unrelated to this, I just bought a new bottling wand (lost the spring inside of my old one). Should I bleach my bottling bucket, valve, and auto-siphon? I was planning to boil the valve by itself.

So what now?

I'm planning on replacing all of my siphon/bottling tubing. Unrelated to this, I just bought a new bottling wand (lost the spring inside of my old one). Should I bleach my bottling bucket, valve, and auto-siphon? I was planning to boil the valve by itself.

None of this will hurt. I bleach all of my equipment at some point. not every batch but I cycle it through. I think the biggest culprit is not sanitizing the bottles anymore and relying on the dishwasher to do it.

I would pry the caps off of the remaining infected bottles to avoid bombs. When you are bottling, do you keep the bucket covered? I would disassemble your bucket valve and soak it and your bucket in a hot PBW solution overnight, then rinse and soak in StarSan or Iodophor.

Do you know what kind of infection it is? Lacto, pedio, etc.? Does it taste phenolic, or just a clean sour tartness?

I would pry the caps off of the remaining infected bottles to avoid bombs. When you are bottling, do you keep the bucket covered? I would disassemble your bucket valve and soak it and your bucket in a hot PBW solution overnight, then rinse and soak in StarSan or Iodophor.

Do you know what kind of infection it is? Lacto, pedio, etc.? Does it taste phenolic, or just a clean sour tartness?

Yep, I cover the bucket while bottling.

No idea what kind of infection it is. I was hoping someone could help in that regard. What exactly do you mean by phenolic? Esters? If so, no, I'd describe it is a clean sour tartness.

On that note, there's a pretty good chance that my previous batch was also infected. It was a belgian pale ale, so the tartness somewhat fit the style and was less noticeable. I had a few gushers but at the time attributed it to fermentation issues (I had a hell of a time with stuck, and then revived, fermentation using WLP515 while in primary).

Have you considered the possibility of the dishwasher spreading some type of mold into the bottles? A lot of bugs get in there every time you do the dishes. Just a thought...

I generally sanitize my bottles by washing them out well in advance of brew day, letting them dry completely, and then doing a total submerge of all bottles in starsan. I then fill with beer right after emptying out the starsan, usually with a couple of seconds exposure time at most.

Yep, I cover the bucket while bottling.

No idea what kind of infection it is. I was hoping someone could help in that regard. What exactly do you mean by phenolic? Esters? If so, no, I'd describe it is a clean sour tartness.

I meant a phenolic infection, like rubber bands or bain-aid like flavors, sometimes accompanied by solvent-like aromas and flavor. If it's just a clean sour tartness, then I would agree with passedpawn that it's a lactobacillus infection.

Have you considered the possibility of the dishwasher spreading some type of mold into the bottles? A lot of bugs get in there every time you do the dishes. Just a thought...

I generally sanitize my bottles by washing them out well in advance of brew day, letting them dry completely, and then doing a total submerge of all bottles in starsan. I then fill with beer right after emptying out the starsan, usually with a couple of seconds exposure time at most.

+1
the dishwasher may be sanitizing them during the cycle, but as soon as they are below 145f they are vulnerable even if it didn't spread mold.
A wet contact sanitizer (soak,spray, vinator) is the only way to be sure.

Roger that! Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to go back to spraying Star San in all of the bottles prior to filling. I ran an experiment while bottling a few batches - I ran them all through the sanitize cycle of the dishwasher, but still sprayed StarSan through them except for a select few (which I marked). None of those had any issues, but I guess I'll be extra safe for now on.

Back