Infection from Re-Pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdtexas

Reaction score
I have had two infections this year which are the only two in my 10 years of brewing. Both times I harvested some of the yeast cake and poured the yeast into sanitized mason jars. On both occasions I decanted the liquid off and pitched. These were probably an average of 2.5 months old. Each time the yeast smelled fine. Each time the fermentation happened very fast and I did no see much krausen. The taste was the same and it is "horse hair" or a Bretamyoses (spelling?) infection.

1. Would making a yeast starter have helped
2. Was the yeast too old or infected

Thoughts appreciated

I can't say that it was in your case, but the only infection I've had in the last two years came from a repitch. I'm not saying give it up or anything like that, just that I need to review my yeast handling sanitation if I'm going to repitch.

1) Seems like a long time, a starter would help make certain you had a decent population of viable yeast, not necessarily prevent an infection.
2) Too old, maybe... a starter would have helped. Infected... very likely that something about your yeast handling caused the infection. I couldn't say though, you'd have to go step by step on your procedure and where you sanitized along the way.

Maybe just off flavors from stressed yeast? 2.5 months is awfully long to pitch harvested yeast without a starter. Also, if the yeast were weak, brett might have had a chance to gain a foot hold before your saccro was up for the fermentation. The other possibility is not using sanitary procedures to harvest and package the saved yeast.

Back