Infection Check Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakadaka

Reaction score
I have been having a problem with infections recently, so I brewed this small batch to see if my top off water was responsible. Basically just used what I had lying around.

~2 gallon batch

2lbs Extra Light DME

.3oz each of Willamette and Hallertau @60
.3oz each of Willamette and Hallertau @15
.3oz each of Willamette and Hallertau @5

fermented with muntons.

I didn't really measure out my DME or water accurately. I don't plan on doing any gravity checks.

I am really just looking to see if it gets infected.

Any ideas on if it will taste any good? I have never used that much hallertau in a batch before. Only used it in wheat beers as a bittering hop before.

Plugging you numbers into Beersmith and not knowing the AA% of your hops, I'm getting a beer with an OG of 1.044 and about 53 IBU. So, a pretty hoppy beer. Hoppy is fine, but keep in mind that hops are anti bacterial and as such your experiment may be slightly flawed from the get go. What is your water source...municipal or well? Chlorinated or not? I've heard of very few people that had an infection source end up being there tap water.

Latest posts

Back